We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental in San Juan del Sur

Wilmington, North...
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Car Rental in San Juan del Sur

I am heading to San Juan del Sur in February. We need to rent a car at the airport. Where we are staying will provide a driver but we have to rent the car. I have heard I need to rent one at several companies since they often lose reservations. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks

Kelly

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
7,738 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental in San Juan del Sur

"We need to rent a car " ---there are several posts that suggest you not rent a car

Put :"car rental" in the search box for several ideas

Edited: 4:04 pm, December 08, 2011
San Juan del Sur...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental in San Juan del Sur

i live in san juan,,,,alamo is the only show in town. eveything else would be a hassle, you can get a car at the airport in managua and drop off in san juan and visa versa. the agency in san juan is across the street from the beach restaurants in down town. there is a big alamo sign.. i just rented a car there and dropped off in managua last month. and at the end of the month i will go home and rent a car at the airport... the least complicated way to san juan is carraterra sur on the south west side of managua. its a great road all the way to san juan. about 2 hours.... everytime i go through massaya and granada i get lost , there are a bunch of turns you have to make and the signs are poor.

San Juan del Sur...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental in San Juan del Sur

you can get along fine without a car in san juan. if you want , you can rent a car there.. i would suggest getting the direct shuttle to san juan from managua airport for 40 bucks. the buses are nice , its about 2 hours. nicaragua is not big on road signs.... its easy to get on the wrong road..

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
71 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental in San Juan del Sur

Take a taxi from Managua airport to SJDS then rent a car in SJDS at Alamo. Your hotel would arrange the taxi if you ask them, cost about $80 from airport to SJDS, more expensive at night. Unless you know Managua really well, forget about finding your way around there in a rental car, there are no road signs and traffic is interesting to say the least. In SJDS a couple of weeks ago we rented a 4wd truck with unlimited mileage from Alamo for about $150 per day including full insurance, we wandered into Alamo and were lucky they had a no-show, better to book in advance. The roads to area beaches are too rough to take a rented sedan. Make sure you don't have to leave your rental vehicle on the street at night, make sure it is locked in somewhere.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,587 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rental in San Juan del Sur

We rented from Dollar in SJDS - they have an office at the Pelican Eyes hotel

6. Re: Car Rental in San Juan del Sur

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, January 11, 2013
Get answers to your questions about San Juan del Sur
Recent Conversations