We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

drive from Liberia airport to San Juan Del Sur

Which San Juan del Sur hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Avalon, New Jersey
Level Contributor
53 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
drive from Liberia airport to San Juan Del Sur

Have a house rented in San Juan Del Sur in Jan. Have been checking airfare. Flying into Liberia, Costa Rica is $370 less per person! How far is the drive from Liberia airport to SJDS? Even if there are holdups at customs ,it might be worth it. Do companies drive from that airport to SJDS? if so, which ones? Thanks

33 replies to this topic
Montezuma, Costa...
Level Contributor
538 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: drive from Liberia airport to San Juan Del Sur

1 thing - you cannot take a rental car across the border, however if you rent a car, the rental company, will (or should) make the crossing as easy as possible for you. I still wouldn't advise it as you will be unlikely to need the car in SJDS (of course depends on where you are staying)

There are bus/taxi combination options but if I were you I would get a taxi from the airport. That taxi cannot cross the border, but he can negotiate with someone to take you across the somewhat chaotic border (& help carry your luggage) and arrange a taxi on the other side to SJDS.

The entire trip will be about - 1 hour to the border, between 1-2 hours through the border, 45 min to SJDS.

Be sure to arrange the entire journey though your initial taxi driver ,be sure he knows the taxi driver on the Nica side, and get the guys name & taxi # and have him point out your 'helper' to you at the border. who will direct you to the correct taxi on the Nic side

You will have to pay $1 on the CR side exit tax (plus helper tip - I recommend $2-3 tip)

$7 + $7 helper + immigration tip on the Nica side

You can do the the journey cheaper, but I think this is your best safest option.

Let me know if you have more details or questions, I have done this route many times

It still saves you a lot over what youu were paying on the flight. But remember to count the same on the way back

Avalon, New Jersey
Level Contributor
53 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: drive from Liberia airport to San Juan Del Sur

People on this forum have recommended iska travel. If I make arrangements with them to get us at the border and take us to SJDS, then I can just take a taxi from Liberia to the border. Is this a possible scenario? Time element seems to be the same and almost the cost as well compared to coming from Managua. Savings on the airfare is huge. I am not planning on renting a acr in SJDS til I get the lay of the lands and even then will arrange drivers for alot of our tours.

Montezuma, Costa...
Level Contributor
538 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: drive from Liberia airport to San Juan Del Sur

Sounds like a good plan on all fronts.

1) It leaves Managua out of the picture which is always a good idea,

2) Someone to guide you through the border, which can be a bit intimidatiing your first time

3) I don't know the company, but if people here have recommended it, go for it

4) Get the lay of the land before renting a car. Taxis are very cheap in Nic. Hook up with a guy you like, get his card.

Sorry I wrote earlier, but then had 2 escapee horses that distracted me before I hit the send button. LOL

In SJDS - I think the wonderful restaurant/bar 'Coquitos' still does live music on Thursday nights. It's a great hangout on the beach, with simple but lovely food

Try Coquitos bar/rest on the beach for live music & reasonably priced quality food, and the water aerobics at the Pelican Eyes pool for fun

Clermont, Florida
Level Contributor
23 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: drive from Liberia airport to San Juan Del Sur

I am from Rivas, Nicaragua ( the closest small city next to the Costa Rican Border). I do not know how far is the Liberia Airport from the Panamerican Hwy?. You can take Transnica Bus company that will take you to the border and cross the border. When you cross the border and drive like 20-30 miles inland Nicaragua. you will see a crossing road called " La Virgen" ( the Virgin).

the bus will continue south (straigh) to managua. You will have to get off at La Virgen, you will have to take a bus or taxi from la Virgen to San Juan del sur ( you turn Left @ la virgen). San Juan del sur is like 10-12 miles down the road.

I have some many questions: are you gonna be alone? kids? too many suitcases? I am asking you this because if you are traveling with a big family maybe is not a good idea to do this way.

In the other had you and other adults are with you, I do not see any problems.

Granada, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
2,120 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: drive from Liberia airport to San Juan Del Sur

there is one company that is call www.orotravel.com visit their web page and talk to them, they can take you from the liberia airport to San juan del sur, if that seems a bit to expensive (is because they are located in Granada) also you can give a try to companies closer to the Costa rica border

http://www.iskratravel.com/ or http://www.adelanteexpress.com/

this companies are located in Rivas and San juan del sur, get in touch with them and arrange transportation from the border to SJDS talk to them and let them know that you need a little help to cross the border they will be happy to help you.

Now from the Liberia airport you can take a taxy to the border (1.5 hours) and they will drop you at the migration office there you fill up the form that they will give you at the office, give it back to the oficer with your passport and that is it no payment in this side of the border, then walk 200mts on pave road to the point where the contries met each other.

At this same point do the arrengment with the company that you hire in Nicaragua that the Nic driver will met you here (he will have a sign with your name on it) in order he gives you a hand on Nica side.

In Nica side if you are with your driver will be easier but if not ask for help to the people there they will sell you the form that is for free at the migration office but they will help you to go to the office and tell you what to do wich consist in filling the form going to the office pay the $13 dollars entry tax and that is it. tip this fellows and your ready to keep going.

If you need more help in activities around let me know

Enjoy Nicaragua

Nicaragua
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: drive from Liberia airport to San Juan Del Sur

Hello. I´ve been to Nicaragua twice and the first time was in a One day tour from costa rica to Nicaragua and then for a 9 days stay in Nicaragua. Our One day tour to Nicaragua was really successful because the ones who organized it was MACUA TOURS S.A.; their staff; i will first talk about their driver "Rafael" is an ex -immigration officer and knows everyone at the border both sides Nicaraguan side and Costa rican side, and the tour Guide "edwin" is the nephew of the Supervisor of the immigration officers in Nicaragua; because it was a One day tour to Nicaragua we were not wanting to waste time at the border to stamp our passports so they just took all of our passports and stamped them in less than 15 minutes, then we did a family trip in march this year during "semana Santa" we also landed from Atlanta to Liberia via Delta Airlines and we hired them again to take us from Liberia Airport to SJDS and it was even faster and very comfortable ride with a bilingual tour guide that will assist you in anything he can; i will Higly recommend Macua tours for any transfer or tour you want to take; the transfer one way from Liberia Intl Airport to SJDS is U$150, you are going to be in good Hands or if you want you can just read more of their reviews: tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

I hope it helps you, i am sure you will never regret to hire their services.

Enjoy Nicaragua.

niagara
Level Contributor
10 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: drive from Liberia airport to San Juan Del Sur

was this 150 per person? Thanks in advance.

Granada, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
2,120 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: drive from Liberia airport to San Juan Del Sur

US$150 sounds that is the price for the car that will pick you up at Liberia airport. it looks reasonable.

Orange County...
Level Contributor
17 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: drive from Liberia airport to San Juan Del Sur

The drive from Managua is horrible so if there is any other way to go to SJDS via Costa Rica, I say go for it!

Avalon, New Jersey
Level Contributor
53 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: drive from Liberia airport to San Juan Del Sur

Thanks for your input. Have returned from SJDS and must say that the company I hired to get me across the border and to SJDS. Was fabulous. They really expedited the border process and handled everything for us. They were Macua Tours. The owner 's name is Edwin. Plus there wasn't any traffic coming into SJDS from that direction and I suspect there is probably a lot of traffic coming from Managua from flights arriving there. Would do that way again in a heartbeat!

Reply to: drive from Liberia airport to San Juan Del Sur
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted