We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do U.S. cell phones work here?

Saint Augustine...
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Do U.S. cell phones work here?

My daughter will be going to Nicaragua and wanted to see if cell phones work there

Mentioned in this post
Nicaragua
Nicaragua
Central America
Nicaragua
Level Contributor
2,463 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do U.S. cell phones work here?

Hello.

Cellphones from US work well here but it cost a lot of money to get calls or call back home a cheap prepaid cellphone (Claro or Movistar) will work better.

Enjoy Nicaragua

Mentioned in this post
Nicaragua
Nicaragua
Central America
Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
8,133 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do U.S. cell phones work here?

I am not sure all US cell phones work---Verizon said our phones were not going to work in Nic and were going to ship me a special phone. Our house had a phone so i used it

So check with you provider!!

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
8 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do U.S. cell phones work here?

Verizon and AT&T phones work fine, if they have a sim card and international calling plans.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
143 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do U.S. cell phones work here?

They work but VERY EXPENSIVE!!! Have her buy a Claro or Movistar phone with minutes and she can call the states cheaper. With T-Mobile I can sync my phone to an internet router and make free phone calls (a dirty little secret they don't want you to know about) but if you get into "roaming" calls it is soooo expensive.

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
8,133 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do U.S. cell phones work here?

from verizon

See the Verizon Wireless products that utilize the network technology supported in this destination for voice calls.

Select a technology to view compatible devices.

Quad Band GSM 3G (High Speed Data)

Rates

GSM Standard Roaming Per Minute Rate: $2.89

GSM Value Plan Roaming Per Minute Rate: $2.29

Text Messaging Rates

$0.50/address sent

$0.05/message received

6. Re: Do U.S. cell phones work here?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 pm, October 05, 2012