We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Girl Traveling Alone on a Budget

San Jose, Costa Rica
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Girl Traveling Alone on a Budget

Hi everyone,

I'm a petite 23-year-old girl. I'm planning on traveling from San Jose Costa Rica (where I live) to San Juan del Sur for the weekend. Originally I was going to go with a friend, but she can't come now. I just have a few questions.

1. Will I be safe?

I know better than to wander around alone at night. I'm probably not going to be spending late nights in bars. I won't carry much cash on me. But as a girl alone, will I be approached or targeted in any way?

2. Where should I stay?

I am on a SERIOUS budget. I'm hoping to keep my whole trip pretty cheap. I'm hoping I could get a room to myself for $20.night. Is that even possible?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Boston...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Girl Traveling Alone on a Budget

From my experience, you will be flirted with, especially if alone but it's completely harmless. During the day, it's fine to explore alone. Avoid walking around alone late at night though because it is a very tourist-y area and there are a few people who are looking for tourists that are alone and lost. I've heard to be carefully walking on the beach at night, especially when going past the Eskimo Ice Cream place.The people in San Juan Del Sur are very friendly though and if you talk with anyone you will make friends quickly that can help you by either keeping you company if you did want to stay out at night and will also help you find a place to stay. It is very possible to find a place to stay for around $20 a night if you find a hostel. From what I remember, an actual hotel room might cost more around $30-40/night but i'm sure you can find much cheaper. Also, in hostels and all around you there will be other tourists that will help you find everything for cheap! You will find at least one hostel on almost every street. Ask around to find the cheapest.

That's just San Juan though, I don't know anything about the trip from San Jose to San Juan.

Boston...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Girl Traveling Alone on a Budget

Hi, I recently spent three weeks in San Juan Del Sur and it is quite an amazing little town, you're going to have a great time, trust me!

To answer your questions:

I don't know about the safety of the actual trip from San Jose to San Juan, but once you arrive you will be fine. The people of San Juan are extremely friendly! Strike up a conversation with just about anyone and you will make friends very quickly. And once you meet someone, you will see them everywhere because San Juan is a very small, close-knit community. As a young lady you will be flirted with and stared at, especially if walking around alone, but it's completely harmless. You won't be approached or attacked, just smile and continue on your way. Walking around during the day time is perfectly safe. Just remember to be smart! If you have cash on you, make sure to keep the bills small and don't pull out your whole wallet. Avoid walking around alone at night. I've heard to be careful walking on the beach at night especially past the Eskimo Ice Cream place, but I've done it and nothing happened. Once you make friends with a few locals, they will help you and keep you safe, maybe walk you home at night if you did want to stay out late.

As for where to stay, I suggest a hostel if you're traveling alone and on a budget. The hostels will be full of other traveling young people that are also on a budget and they will know the best cheap places to eat, drink etc. I don't know exactly how much a night it is but I know that the nice hotel cost $40/night so I'm assuming the hostels will be significantly less expensive, probably $20! You will be able to find a hostel really anywhere! Just look for the shirtless guitar-playing back-packers chilling on the porch!

Have fun!

Portsmouth, VA
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Girl Traveling Alone on a Budget

You will be plenty safe around San Juan Del Sur at night. I've been going their at least once a year for 5 years and a single girl will be fine walking to and from your hotel at night. And don't be afraid to catch a drink at the bars at night if you want. Most of the bars are down on the water, there's pleny of activity(both tourist and locals) and the streets are well lit. Just stay in the main part of town, don't walk on the beach at night and you will be surprised just how comfortable it feels.

As for hotels, there are all kinds of cheap hostels with showers catering to the surf crowd. If you really want to "splurge", the Hotel Colonial is spotless clean w/ A/C for US$45.

Good luck and have a great time. I'm sure you will love it.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
718 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Girl Traveling Alone on a Budget

kaiwilli, I hope that you have a great adventure, traveling alone has many advantages.

I am researching my own trip to SJDS for next year and came across information on two Hostels that may suit your needs.

First, Casa Oro has shared bedrooms, or private ones. It looks safe and fun.

casaeloro.com/spanish/templates/index.html

And another is Planet Waves Nica

http://www.planetwavesnica.com/index.html

They both get decent reviews on TripAdvisor.

Good luck and have fun!

Puntarenas
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Girl Traveling Alone on a Budget

I am a middle aged federal service academy grad, living in Rohrmoser, and with the falling dollar looking for options.

I will be traveling to SJDS soon too. You can contact me if you wish wetyback@yahoo.com

Granada, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Girl Traveling Alone on a Budget

The trip from san jose to Rivas is safe when you get to rivas which is the main city SJDS is 25km away there are buses leaving from the Market or Shared taxis. once in SJDS i recomend casa del oro guest house very close to the main park wich on the same street coming from the park to the beach you will find many rooms for rents or small hostels is a asmall town so it won´t be hard to find a room.

At night there is a place where all the locals and tourist hang around "La Iguana" is on the street infornt of the beach and not no far from casa de oro or the main square on a safe area.

As many TA writers says is better to avoid the area further from the Skimo even on the street some times is dark and anyway there is few things or nothing further ahead.

Enjoy Nicaragua.

7. Re: Girl Traveling Alone on a Budget

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 pm, October 05, 2012