We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just back from SJDS

Which San Juan del Sur hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
46 reviews
Save Topic
Just back from SJDS

Just thought I'd post a quick review of our week in SJDS. We took the once a week flight from the UK to Liberia in the north of Costa Rica and went to SJDS for a week and then a week back in Costa Rica. This is a bit daunting as you need to get a transfer across the border and I see there are quite a few posts about how to do this - and from our experience, unless you speak Spanish or know what you're doing, you're in for a long drawn out experience.

We researched and got loads of quotes for the transfers before leaving home and went with Edwin from Macua tours. They met us at the airport, took us to the border, dealt with the CR exit formalities, handed us over to another driver on the Nicaraguan side, and Edwin's excellent border contacts ensured we were fast tracked through with no aggravation.

In SJDS we stayed at Pelican Eyes which was great but hilly with loads of steps and we ate out at a number of local restaurants on the beach - El Timon we think gave us food poisoning, and we really liked Bambu Beach Club.

Walking around the town, we never once felt unsafe and despite speaking nothing more than about a dozen words of Spanish, we managed just fine.

The beach is pretty nice - wide and long and not at all crowded.

We did a few trips - firstly to Masaya volcano for sunset followed by going to the bat cave in total darkness with flashlights and hard hats followed by a walk into the lava caves then back up to the top to see the glow of the lava. On the way we stopped or ceviche in a town square (the best we've ever had) and went to a volcano crater filled with water. This was with Edwin from Macua Tours.

We also went on the Pelican Eyes sailing boat trip which was great with drinks, snacks, fishing and sorkelling.

We also rented a car and went exploring and while it's not that easy, we found the amazing Playa Hermosa and Playa El Coco which were almost deserted and beautiful.

This town feels unspoiled by tourism just now - no chain hotels, no McDonalds/Starbucks or any other chain restaurant, and we liked it for that. We just hope it stays that way!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
289 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just back from SJDS

Thank you for the info. I'm putting together a trip for early November. We're flying out of So. California and ticketed into Managua and out of Liberia. We'll also be staying in SJDS, among other places, and also in Playa Hermosa for a week. Your information helped piece together our trip. Thank you for sharing!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,192 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just back from SJDS

We will be going the opposite direction. Who did you do transfer with on nicaragua side?

Thanks

Edited: 12:10 pm, March 14, 2011
High Level, Canada
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Just back from SJDS

Thank you so much for sharing this information, it makes me super excited to see and experience all that SJDS has to offer!! Me and my boyfriend are leaving for Nic on March 30 and will be spending most of our time in SJDS!!

4. Re: Just back from SJDS

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:15 pm, October 20, 2012