We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nicaragua...specifically San Juan...is it safe?

High Level, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Nicaragua...specifically San Juan...is it safe?

My boyfriend and I are planning to leave for Nicaragua on March 30. Neither of us have been there (or anywhere else in Central America) and are very eager to see this beautiful country and what it has to offer. Our one concern however, is how safe the country is to foreign travellers. We have both travelled and know how to travel safe, but we would love to hear of past experiences or advice from anyone that has travelled there recently. Anything you have to share would be greatly appreciated.

Portsmouth, VA
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Nicaragua...specifically San Juan...is it safe?

My only experience is with San Juan Del Sur. I first went there 5 years ago, fell in love and have been back at least once a year since. So much so that I bought a lot just outside of town and plan to build my retirement/vacation home there. San Juan Del Sur is very safe and the people are wonderful. However, just like any poor third world country, there are certain things to watch out for. Don't walk the beach at night and don't leave valuables lying on the beach unattended. Once a local kid lifted my girlfriends camera from her purse, but a local actually ran down the kid and returned the camera to us, but I truly believe that is an extremely rare occurance based on what I've seen. SJDS is full of great restaraunts and bars and I have walked the streets of town til the bars closed(both alone and with my girlfriend) and have never felt threatened. The town has a flavor that is addicting and you will probably love it if you're the kind of person that would consider a Nica vacation in the first place. Good luck and let me know if you need any advice as far as where to stay, eat, etc.

San Diego
Level Contributor
351 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nicaragua...specifically San Juan...is it safe?

We were there Moday. We are in our late 60s and felt very safe. We did a lot of walking. However, we do not walk after dark.

While you are there, we strongly recommnend the lobster tails at El Timeo. The best meal we have had in Nicaragua, all for $12.

Jim

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,163 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nicaragua...specifically San Juan...is it safe?

We were in SJDS a month ago and felt no different than walking down a street at home. Totally safe. Be sure to see other parts of the country. Leon, Granada,Ometepe all worth seeing. Have fun.

Oracle
Level Contributor
6 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nicaragua...specifically San Juan...is it safe?

We were there over Christmas 2010. You're probably safer from bodily harm there than Phoenix or LA.

High Level, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Nicaragua...specifically San Juan...is it safe?

Thank you all so much for sharing. I am so excited to go, we leave in 9 days!!! Like anywhere else, I'm sure all the beautiful pictures don't even do the beauty of it justice!! Thanks again.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
34 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nicaragua...specifically San Juan...is it safe?

Enjoy yourselves! This is my second year in Nicaragua. I come to San Juan del Sur, and this year I have been here 3 months. As long as you use some common sense this is a very safe small town. There are lots of fabulous restaurants and lots of shopping.If you want some details, I have done a travel blog. It is a detailed account of my travels around Nicaragua! Check it out

http://www.travelpod.com/members/deedledee

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
16 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nicaragua...specifically San Juan...is it safe?

We just got back from a month in Nicaragua (mostly Granada) including 2 nights in SJDS. Except for an incident (noted below) we felt safe especially at SJDS. We did a fair amount of driving and never ran into one of the police shakedowns we were told to expect.

Our one bad experience was that our car was broken into in Granada, parked 10 feet from a security guard at La Colonia, the upscale "Gringo" supermarket. Asi es la vida.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
309 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nicaragua...specifically San Juan...is it safe?

I'm also in San Diego and putting together a 2-week trip to Nicaragua and Costa Rica in October/November. We'll be in SJDS for a few days. Where did you stay there? Were you happy with it? We'd like to be on the outskirts of town but close enough to walk in. We don't particularly want to be in the middle of the action. Right now looking at Hotel Victorano and a few others. Any comments appreciated.

Portsmouth, VA
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Nicaragua...specifically San Juan...is it safe?

I would highly recommend Hotel Colonial. I've stayed there 5 times out of 7 trips over the last 4 years. It's 5-6 blocks from the action so if you want to go to bed early, you won't hear a thing. The rooms are kinda small, but the place is spotless, hot water, A/C, gated offstreet parking and the people who run it are wonderful. And as far as I know it's still only $45 American a night. Be sure to try the pollo asado at the little restaurant across the street.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
309 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nicaragua...specifically San Juan...is it safe?

Sounds like just what we're looking for. Thank you!