We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

safety in San Juan del Sur

Salt Lake City, Utah
2 posts
Save Topic
safety in San Juan del Sur

My cousin and I are going to SJDS for christmas. We're going to rent a home. Do you think that it will be safe? We're 23 yr. old females.

Nicaragua
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: safety in San Juan del Sur

That will be just fine, i am sure that othe rpeople on this forum will agree with me

Managua
Level Contributor
641 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: safety in San Juan del Sur

You shouldnt have a problem at all.

Just take normal precautions.

Valencia, Spain
Level Contributor
5 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: safety in San Juan del Sur

Do not go to the beach at night.

Salt Lake City, Utah
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: safety in San Juan del Sur

Is it OK during the day? What else can you tell me?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,475 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: safety in San Juan del Sur

The beach and entire town is perfectly safe during the day. At night it's safe as long as you hang around the main area where there are plenty of bars/restaurants along the beach.

I've never felt unsafe while in SJDS - just use common sense and some street smarts and you will be fine

Managua, Nicaragua
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: safety in San Juan del Sur

SJDS is very safe! Ive worked there many times and have been too all the big parties!! It is very safe! Basically you and your friend shouldn't go down some dark path where nobody can see you! That's why the post above said to stay off the beach at night!

Basically go and have a great time!!! Dec is nice weather and a lot of fun at San Juan! Try to stay for New Years ;)

Managua, Nicaragua
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: safety in San Juan del Sur

SJDS is very safe! Ive worked there many times and have been too all the big parties!! It is very safe! Basically you and your friend shouldn't go down some dark path where nobody can see you! That's why the post above said to stay off the beach at night!

Basically go and have a great time!!! Dec is nice weather and a lot of fun at San Juan! Try to stay for New Years ;)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
34 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: safety in San Juan del Sur

I agree with the previous posts.I spent 6 weeks in SJdS this year and I never felt unsafe. My hubby and I walked around town at night all the time. The main streets are well lit and there are lots of people walking around.I do not think I would have gone for a walk on the beach at night, but we did every morning.You and you friend should have a wonderful time. I wasn;t there for any big holiday's like Christmas or Easter, but I was told by the locals that the town of San Juan del Sur is much busier during those times and you just need to be a bit more aware of petty theft and pick pockets. have a safe trip!

Isla de Ometepe...
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: safety in San Juan del Sur

two 23 yr. old girls in San Juan del Sur? that is not safe at all "for your boyfriends" jk....like everyone else said just use common sense and stay where most people are.

San Jose, Costa Rica
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: safety in San Juan del Sur

the irish woman that owned the irish pub was found dead the other morning - strange circumstances as well - avoid that place now the current owners are bunch of scum