We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Juan del Sur - Getting There?

Which San Juan del Sur hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Orlando, Florida
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
San Juan del Sur - Getting There?

What is best to do to get to SJdS from Managua? We're going in March 06 and don't know if it easy to get around once there or not?

1. bus?

2. rent a car?

3. other?

Thx, Todd

Chico, CA

Felixstowe, UK
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Juan del Sur - Getting There?

Depends on your budget. We got a bus from Managua to Granada (as we were staying a couple of nights there) then a taxi from Granada to SJDS. The bus was (of course) very cheap, and the taxi was no more than around $15 for four of us.

I can't remember if there is a bus all the way to SJDS from Granada, but if not you can connect ok from there in Rivas, which is on the way.

We returned from SJDS to Managua, with a taxi (cheap) from SJDS to Rivas, and a bus from Rivas to Managua, again very cheap.

SJDS is pretty small, so its no trouble getting around, and if you want to go further than walking distance, taxis in Nicaragua are as cheap as buses in most other places.

We stayed in a hostel in SJDS for $6 per night each. It was clean, comfortable with en suite shower, and around 20 yards from the beach, so no complaints there.

All in all you might want to leave the driving to Nicaraguans, either by bus or taxi, as you will get fed up of driving round hundreds of large holes in the roads, and everyone should experience a bus journey in Nicaragua !

USA
Level Contributor
63 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Juan del Sur - Getting There?

i have found the best way is to rent a 4 wheel drive from the Managua airport. You can rent one pretty cheap ($20 a day). It's about a 2 1/2 hour drive from there. The roads are ok but you probably don't want to drive them at night.

April Lee

www.sanjuanbeachhouse.com

us
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: San Juan del Sur - Getting There?

aprillee76,

which rental agency rented you a 4x4 for $20 a day? i am interested in this as i am coming for a visit and have only seen about $300 a week for 4x4's per companies like Alamo, Hertz, Economy. Do you have any suggestions?

Indio, California
Level Contributor
3 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Juan del Sur - Getting There?

In regards to $20 a day for a 4x4, let me know what rental car company is being used. I lived in Nicaragua from 1991 - 1997 and travel there at least 2 times a year and have never found that rate.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: San Juan del Sur - Getting There?

We took a cab straight from the airport in Managua, arranged by our hotel, for $80 between the two of us. We probably could have negotiated a lower price ($50 maybe) with one of the taxis across from the airport, but I didn't want to go through the hassle. As for renting a car, I very much doubt you will find one for $20 a day and I also would not want to drive those roads without some previous knowledge of them. The potholes were murder after you get off the main road and our cabbie could have avoided them blindfolded. That is not to mention the police checkpoint where we likely would have been given a hard time (more so because our Spanish is offensively bad) if our cabbie on the way down hadn't buttered them up with a two-liter bottle of coke. You definitely don't want to go through that without a local in my opinion. The buses seemed like a reasonable option, but we were in no mood after having flown all night.

Niwot, Colorado
Level Contributor
10 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San Juan del Sur - Getting There?

We are heading to visit on the 29th of March. There is no way to get a 4x4 for $20 a day. Then there is insurance. Trust me we have looked everywhere, unless this is only something you can get when you are there. Here is a little tip I just found out, you can get insurance through your credit card company (cheap!) and then just pay for the car rental. We got a car rental for about $80. for eight days. I drove in Costa Rica and I hope the pot holes are about the same size. If they are it was completly doable.

Niwot, Colorado
Level Contributor
10 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: San Juan del Sur - Getting There?

We are heading to visit on the 29th of March. There is no way to get a 4x4 for $20 a day. Then there is insurance. Trust me we have looked everywhere, unless this is only something you can get when you are there. Here is a little tip I just found out, you can get insurance through your credit card company (cheap!) and then just pay for the car rental. We got a car rental for about $80. for eight days. I drove in Costa Rica and I hope the pot holes are about the same size. If they are it was completly doable.

MS
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: San Juan del Sur - Getting There?

If you don't mind things being a little "rustic" then take the bus. Its cheap and lets you see a little of how ordinary Nicaraguans get around. Otherwise take a cab. After considering the expense and hassle of renting a car, taxis are a no-brainer.