We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Central Place to stay in San Juan del Sur and Nightlife

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
Central Place to stay in San Juan del Sur and Nightlife

Hello! I'm planning a trip with one of my best friends and we're going to have one night in San Juan del Sur. I'm wondering if anybody has advice on a place to stay that is central to the town and any nightlife (most of the spots I seem to be finding are a fifteen minute drive away). Also does anybody have advice on the nightlife there? We'll be there on a Thursday night, first week of March.

Thank you!

Nicaragua
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Central Place to stay in San Juan del Sur and Nightlife

Depends on your budget. For an inexpensive place try Don Wilfred next to Big Wave Dav es restaurant or Hostel Soya across the street. They are both just half a block to the beach. Where you can find all the bars and discos.

PS- Stay clear of Hotel Casa Oro they have had a case of Bed Bugs recently.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
882 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Central Place to stay in San Juan del Sur and Nightlife

I stayed at Hotel Colonial, in the main part of the town and just a few blocks from the bay. I compare it very much to a Super 8 in the States. Basic, but clean. You get a better rate if you stay multiple nights, but for one night somewhere around $30/night (from what I remember, maybe somewhat more).

Very little English spoken here, so have some Spanish skills, but here's the website: http://www.hotel-nicaragua.com/

There are other locations in town if you want to spend more for more comfort. I did a quick tour of Hotel Victoriana, nice but around $100/night.

SJDS is a fairly mellow place being on the bay and such, but some bars/restaurants. I think I also was there on off-season, and happened to end up being there during a tropical storm, so perhaps part of the relative quietness.

Casa Oro is across the street and can accommodate requests for trips to various more more locations and where you can probably find a younger crowd, this all even if you don't stay there. Can't speak to the bedbugs, however...

3. Re: Central Place to stay in San Juan del Sur and Nightlife

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, October 20, 2009