We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need travel help for family of four

Which San Juan del Sur hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
cheyenne
Level Contributor
793 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Need travel help for family of four

I would like info on where to stay really. We would like a typical beach vacation. My oldest son is 22, fluent in Spanish, youngest son is 16 and fair with Spanish. My oldest has been to Nicaragua and said San Juan Del Sur is very pretty. He also is used to staying in hostels, which I am not. I would like a nice place to stay, right on the beach, close to restaurants. Is there shopping there? Diving? We do not surf, but love to play in the ocean. Any and all suggestions welcomed!

Managua
Level Contributor
641 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Need travel help for family of four

Shopping isn't great, but some beach wear etc.

Try the newish Hotel Victoriana, on the road across from the beach at the far end close to the entrance road.

Close to restaurants etc.

…typepad.com/san_juan_del_sur/…index.html

Personally I don't think the beach there is anything special, but the nearby beaches like Majagual and Playa Gigante are.

…typepad.com/photos/…index.html

There are jeep taxis in town that you can get dropped off and picked up for the day.

cheyenne
Level Contributor
793 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need travel help for family of four

Thank you for the reply. If San Juan Del Sur is not all that nice of a beach, is there another town in Nicaragua that is a nice beach town. We like to be in places where we can go out for dinner at different places. We have never stayed in an AI and really do not want that type of vacation, we just like to relax, maybe dive, my husband and son like to fish, and just hang out on a nice beach and stay at a nice place. I know I am asking a bit, but is there a town in Nicaragua that may fit that description? Thank you so much.

Managua
Level Contributor
641 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Need travel help for family of four

Well San Juan does have some nice restaurants and as I say you could base yourself there and spend the day at nearby beaches.

They're relatively easy to get to.

Fishing is excellent in SJDS http://www.nicacharters.com

But, the diving there is nothing special, Corn Islands are the place for that, you could consider visiting there, beaches are lovely.

It's a flight from Managua though.

…typepad.com/corn_islands_nicaragua/homepage/

You could also look at Las Penitas:

…typepad.com/las_penitas_poneloya/homepage/

It has 2 or 3 good places to eat but not the variety of SJDS!

cheyenne
Level Contributor
793 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need travel help for family of four

Thank you so much. Yes, SJDS seems like the kind of place my family would like. I think it would be nice to travel to some of the outlying beaches and be able to stay in town. I guess I didn't really expect the diving to be good there, it was just a hope. We do like boogie boarding and this looks like a great area for that. My 16 year old wants to try surfing. I think this looks like a good destination for us. It appears the best weather is from Dec. to May, would that be right? Thank you again for the help.

Managua
Level Contributor
641 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Need travel help for family of four

Boogie boarding is good, surf lessons are easy to find!

December to May are the driest part of the year!

6. Re: Need travel help for family of four

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 pm, October 18, 2009