We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental to SJDS

Temecula, California
Level Contributor
19 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental to SJDS

Perhaps I am over-thinking this...could someone tell me what kind of car we need for our 10-day stay in SJDS in early April.? Regular car or SUV? It seems to be extraordinarily expensive! We are a family of four and we will be staying in a rental home near SJDS. We do plan to go on day trips.

Thanks in advance.

San Juan del Sur
Level Contributor
105 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental to SJDS

It all depends on where your house is located and where you want to explore. April is the towards the end of the dry season, so river crossings and mud won't be an issue. However, not all roads are maintained and some of them can be impassable in a normal car. I would recommend a Toyota 4X4 double cabin pickup. Plenty of room for your family, can go anywhere easily and will cost you about the same as a small compact car - much less than an SUV. In any event, vehicle rentals in Nicaragua are expensive. I would also highly recommend that you pay particular attention to the vehicle inspection at the rental agency making sure that any and all scratches, nicks, dings, etc are notated. I also recommend that you are fully insured - just in case.

Mentioned in this post
Nicaragua
Nicaragua
Central America
Temecula, California
Level Contributor
19 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental to SJDS

Thank you so much for the detailed message and your sound advice. Cheers!

3. Re: Car rental to SJDS

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 pm, October 18, 2009