We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need general information

Which San Juan del Sur hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Long Beach
Level Contributor
13 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Need general information

A few family members are planning a trip to SJDS, but my sister in law is worried that SJDS is too touristy or too many of the visitors will be surfers from Southern California. I guess she doesn't want to leave Huntington Beach, CA just to arrive in another Hunting Beach, CA.

This is somewhat the case in Tamarindo, Costa Rica.

Can anyone shed some light on the town and the tourists?

Holyoke...
Level Contributor
68 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need general information

We just got back from SJDS. We were in Tamarindo two years ago and Huntington Beach years ago. SJDS is not yet as touristy as Tamarindo, but they are trying. The town is still much of the original town, but everywhere it is building out for tourists - I would not worry about surfers as the surf at the town beach does not keep them in town - folks head north or south for surfing. There is not one thing about this town that can correlate to Southern California! --- as for surfers from Southern California, we ran into far less young people/surfers from the US than we did from Europe or Australia.

I found the over forty crowd from the U.S. looking to buy property in Nicaaragua far more plentiful in this town....... they are everywhere. (we are in our 50's and everyone assumed we were there to buy as well) I must add, I guess it depends where you stay and what restaurants you hang out at as well........

Magnolia, Texas
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Need general information

San Juan Del Sur is by far the busiest area here but the crowed factor really depends on what time of year your coming down.

For SJDS and Popoyo:

Steer clear of April May June and you should be good to go. If your stuck with that time frame there are other options that are still in the all day off-shore category. None of any of these options are as bad at Tamarindo.

There are boats to get you away from the crowds. Lot of breaks in the area to choose from that are boat only. If your captain knows whats up he'll be able to take you to about 10 different breaks all within 45 minutes.

You'll be stoked on the place though the offshores are amazing and there is always a clean face to be found.

peace,

tom

Calgary
Level Contributor
192 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need general information

Hey tom, why do you not recommend April, May or June? Just wondering. Poor surfing, poor weather, too many tourists, or a combination thereof? Thanks

4. Re: Need general information

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:17 pm, September 21, 2009