We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in October

Which San Juan del Sur hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco
5 posts
Save Topic
Weather in October

I'm planning on going to SJDS in mid-October. What's the weather going to be like? I understand that it's at the end of the wet or "green" season. Some rain is OK but I would prefer sunshine and some warm/hot weather.

Thanks for any information.

San Juan del Sur
Level Contributor
105 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in October

Figure on lots of rain. October is traditionally the wettest of the rainy season. Your best bet would be end of November and December. January is ok, but the wind starts blowing and continues until February or March. March/April and May are hot, dry and dusty. June/July are ok again with some rain, things are green again. There is typically a mini-dry season mid July to mid August that is also nice. September is normally very wet.

Temperatures vary from low 80's (26C) to mid 90's (34C) throughout the year.

Best fishing (deep sea) is during the rainy season (June-Nov) as is the best surfing. Fresh water fishing (lake Nicaragua,Apanas) is best in Feb/Mar.

Let me know if you need any more info.

San Francisco
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in October

thanks for the information. would it be raining all day long, making activities or beach going impossible?

we are trying to plan a honeymoon in october and are having a difficult time finding a tropical location that is not subject to rain and/or hurricane issues. i realize this is due to the time of our trip and the raining season in the tropical zones, I was just hoping to find an exception to that rule. if you have any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated.

San Juan del Sur
Level Contributor
105 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in October

Personally, I wouldn't risk it. There have been Octobers where it didn't rain much (2006) and Octobers that were torrential (2007 and previous years). It doesn't rain all the time during rainy season, but there have been times when it rained for weeks on end. If you could push the honeymoon to November, you would stand a better chance of having sunshine.

Maybe Hawaii?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
314 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather in October

Oh no! I was planning a 4 day trip to Nicaragua in October as well - but my major concern was hurricanes and TOO much rain (I'm originally from Seattle so I can handle some rain). I did want to do some surfing, and it looks like October is a good time to go for that.

NateinSF, did you look into Maui? If you are looking more exotic, maybe Punte Del Este in Uruguay, though I am not sure how the weather will be like then - the end of "winter" for them down there?

Good luck!

5. Re: Weather in October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:22 am, September 12, 2009