We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

considering vacationing in SJDS in November

nyc
Level Contributor
172 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
considering vacationing in SJDS in November

hi there,

My boyfriend and I are considering vacationing in SJDS in November . Our friend owns a house there connected to Villa Isabella My boyfriend is a little worried about the weather (still rainy season?) , and what we would do there (ocean has rip currents, maybe it's too cold to swim in ocean in late November,, poor snorkeling, etc). We are interested in taking some Spanish lessons and I see that there are several schools and teachers down there. He's also concerned about the power outages, etc.

So I would love to hear your comments about what you love about SJDS, so I can see if his apprehensions can be allayed. Are there hikes we can take? Are there other things to see if we don't want to lay around the pool or beach all day? Can you find food to eat that isn't spicy? Is it safe (we hear don't leave anything on the beach)?

Thanks!

Robin

you can write to me directly at windyrec@aol.com

San Juan del Sur
Level Contributor
105 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: considering vacationing in SJDS in November

Robin,

The rainy season should be over, especially if you come towards the latter part of November. November is one of the best times to visit Nicaragua. It's never too cold to swim in the ocean here. While all beaches have rip currents, none of the beaches around SJDS are considered dangerous. Snorkling isn't dependent on season, it depends on water clarity which varies from day to day and location.

The power outages are, for the most part, scheduled. They change weekly from 2pm-5pm (this week) to 7pm-10pm (next week). Most places have some sort of backup power. Villa Isabella has a generator.

There are other activities in and around SJDS. There is a canopy tour right outside town that is very good (there are 2 more on Mombacho volcano near Granada - also very good), there is horseback riding, or hiking around the hills. THe fishing is also good and plenty of boats available to take you. There is sailing on Pelican Eyes. They do a nice day trip - all inclusive. You can watch the turtles lay eggs at La Flor Turtle Reserve.

Nica food isn't spicy. There is a wide variety of restaurants offering everything from Italian to Spanish to Mexican to Seafood to Fusion.

Nicaragua is the safest country in Central America. However, use common sense, just like you would anywhere. There isn't anything special to look out for. There is petty theft, like anywhere, just use common sense.

SJDS is a great place to just hang out and relax. It's very laid back, tranquilo. The scenery is fantastic and the sunsets are incredible.

nj
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: considering vacationing in SJDS in November

I second everything SJDS says.............You gotta go!

I am going there 1st week of November.

PHX
Level Contributor
15 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: considering vacationing in SJDS in November

I have been trying to get in contact with the canopy tour company - but having no luck. Can anyone help me?

Which tour would be recommended -the one near SJDS or near the volcanic area??

San Juan del Sur
Level Contributor
105 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: considering vacationing in SJDS in November

Go to vianica.com/activity/65/canopy-tour-da-flyin…

There is contact information and a description. The 3 canopy tours (2 on Mombacho and 1 outside San Juan del Sur) are about the same as far as length and fun. The differences are as follows:

Mombacho tours

The canopy on the lake side of the volcano is the most safety conscious. They don't leave anything to chance. It removes some of the excitement. (stuff like hooking and unhooking you from the zip line on each platform, making you always hang on to something) The views from the starting area are fantastic. You look over the lake and Zapatera island. It also is a very rough 45 minute ride from Granada.

The canopy tour in the National Park (other side of the volcano) is much easier to get to. The aren't nearly as safety oriented. You can hook and unhook yourself. The don't discourage you if you want to ride down a zip line upside down. No views, but you are really in the jungle.

San Juan del Sur

The canopy tour is just outside town, on the road to the beaches north of town. Great views of San Juan del Sur and the bay all along the tour. They don't over-emphasize safety, they encourage fun. This one also has the longest zip line - something like 800 meters.

All of these tours are worth it. They are all fun. The staffs at all of them are professional and know what they are doing.

San Juan del Sur
Level Contributor
105 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: considering vacationing in SJDS in November

OOPS, the zip line isn't 800 meters. I just re-read the description and it says 328 meters....big difference. All I know is that it's long!

PHX
Level Contributor
15 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: considering vacationing in SJDS in November

Thank you for so much great info! I have emailed and hope to hear from them soon.

Since we are on the cruise ship - maybe we better stick closer to town??

philippines
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: considering vacationing in SJDS in November

there are people stealing stuff on the beach. so be careful.

yes there are power interruptions but there are hotels or houses that have generator. there are also bars in sjds. one is Big Wave Daves. you might wanna try it out.

hope you'll enjoy your vacation.

PHX
Level Contributor
15 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: considering vacationing in SJDS in November

Thanks for the information - we leave in a little over 3 weeks!!

San Juan del Sur
Level Contributor
105 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: considering vacationing in SJDS in November

The good news here in Nicaragua is the scheduled power outages are over! Apparently, the power company is now producing or buying enough to cover the needs of the country. There are still the occasional power outages for maintenance or if there is an accident, but they usually don't last very long.

Recommendation in San Juan del Sur....certainly Big Wave Daves, but also Iguana Bar (basically the "new" Ricardos). Breakfast and coffee is El Gato Negro. Restaurants - O Sole Mio (great Italian and seafood - my favorite), El Timon (almost all of the beach side restaurants are good), El Colibri (mediterranean food - very good), Jerrys Pizza, Pelican Eyes and El Pozo (both expensive), El Jardin (fusion), a bunch of others and of course, the market (good cheap food breakfast from $1, Lunch from $2, not the most pleasant atmosphere, though).

10. Re: considering vacationing in SJDS in November

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 pm, September 07, 2009