We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yuanyang Rice Terraces

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
3 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Yuanyang Rice Terraces

We will be staying in Jinghong in late October 2013 and plan to visit Yuanyang to see the famous rice terraces. How Long is the travel from Jinghong to Yuanyang and is it advisable to stay overnight in Yuanyang before returning to Jinghong and any recommended place to stay in Yanyang.

10 replies to this topic
Kunming
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Yuanyang Rice Terraces

Hi,You will find a bus to Hong He or Yuan Yang,and then take a small bus to Duo Yi Shu.We recommend you stay in hostel or international youth hostel in Duo Yi Shu.

If you need a local driver to show your around Yuanyang,Shipin,Jianshui,Mengzi.(South of Yunnan)please let us know.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
8,606 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yuanyang Rice Terraces

Check a map of Yunnan. Yuanyang is not a side trip from Jinghong. Travel between the two on public bus, with the connections required, will take 2 days or parts thereof, in each direction. Yuanyang is usually done as a loop out of Kunming, or on the way between Kunming and Hekou exiting to Vietnam.

So if you really intend to go from Jinghong to Yuanyang and back by public transport, allot 6 days. Maybe some effiiciencies gained via private car, but it would be very expensive.

At any rate, October is not a good time to visit Yuanyang, since they will be harvesting/have harvested and the terraces will be a bunch of brown dirt and mud. Sometimes early November, they are flooded and then really nice and good for photography.

Edited: 1:52 pm, May 08, 2013
Chengdu, China
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Yuanyang Rice Terraces

There is not direct bus from Jinghong to Yuanyang. Tourists can only take bus from Jinghong to Yuanjiang at 11:00 and it takes about 6.5 hours. On the second day, take bus to Honghe and then turn to another bus to Yuanyang. If taking a private car, it takes about 7 hours.

Kunming, China
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
524 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yuanyang Rice Terraces

OP -- I was there earlier this week (Jinghong.) What you want to do is not practical. You need to rethink your route, along the lines that @Jiejie suggested, above in #2.

Even though some of these places may look fairly near each other on a map, the travel time involved is much longer than you might think because they are only connected by small to medium-sized winding mountain roads. Cannot drive fast; cannot drive at night.

And I agree that late October is not a good time to visit Yuanyang in the first place.

In case you want an alternate plan, the famous tea mountains near Jinghong and Menghai will be worth visiting at that time of year. But it's not an easy thing to do. Those places are not set up for casual tourists.

Best way to get from Jinghong to Kunming is to fly. Takes less than an hour. Driving takes about 7 hours. Bus takes a bit more. (No train for that route.)

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
8,606 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yuanyang Rice Terraces

This thread is two years old! Surely the OP has traveled by now. #3 made the mistake of reopening the topic.

Kunming, China
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
524 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yuanyang Rice Terraces

Oh, stupid me! (Slaps head.)

Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Yuanyang Rice Terraces

Hi ! I everybody else we Intend to leave Yuanyang for Jinghong on April 23rd or 24rrd 2015.

Is anyone interested in sharing a chartered car. We speak of chinese and this could be a help to some people.

Contact us directly on mitiapoon@gmail.com

Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Yuanyang Rice Terraces

Hi ! I everybody else we Intend to leave Yuanyang for Jinghong on April 23rd or 24rrd 2015.

Is anyone interested in sharing a chartered car. We speak of chinese and this could be a help to some people.

Contact us directly on mitiapoon@gmail.com

Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Yuanyang Rice Terraces

Sorry for the mistakes it's my automatic predictive keyboard !

Lijiang
12 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Yuanyang Rice Terraces

Yuanyang timeless guesthouse is a good place to stay ,or I recommend the Yunti hotel in Yuanyang ,it`s the best hotel in Yuanyang.

Reply to: Yuanyang Rice Terraces
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted