We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay & when to go?

Bridgewater, New...
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where to stay & when to go?

We are looking to take our two kids (5 and 3) to Hershey for a night or two. We were thinking in May or June before it gets too hot and crowded.

Any thoughts on the best time to go and where to stay? We have never been before so any insight is appreciated.

Elizabethtown...
Level Contributor
986 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay & when to go?

Are you thinking a weekday or a weekend? We are season pass holders, but use them almost exclusively in June, because the crowds are so much lighter then in July and Aug. I would avoid Memorial Day weekend, and understand that a Sat. or Sun. in June can still be quite crowded.

Otherwise, it really depends on if you are interested in the water park area. On one hand, it can be pretty cool in June, making the water park less appealing. At the same time, cooler days often mean you could have the water park practically to yourselves. It really depends on how cool is too cool to get into the water for your family, and if water slides are an important part of your visit. For me, May is too cold to visit the water park, but June is typically warm enough, especially the later it gets into the month. Of course, the later you go, the bigger the crowds. It is all a trade-off, but a weekday in mid June often has low crowds and warm temps. It is my favorite time to visit. Look for discount tickets for that time of year. Local Giant grocery stores have been selling discounted tickets that included free parking for the first month of the Summer season for the past couple years.

Where to stay is very budget dependent. The Hershey Lodge and Hershey Hotel are very nice and convenient, but expensive. There are lots of options in the area of more basic hotels with prices going down as you get closer to Harrisburg or other outlying communities. I'm not the expert on that stuff, hopefully others will chime in.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,276 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay & when to go?

If you're looking for budget-friendly accommodations in Hershey, I'd recommend the Days Inn Hershey. It is close to the park and convenient to restaurants in town. Certainly worth a look, especially before peak season hits.

PA
Destination Expert
for Hershey, Harrisburg
Level Contributor
3,045 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay & when to go?

Crowds in May and June will be much smaller than later in the summer. Weekdays are always better than weekends. Ideally, I would aim for arriving on a Sunday in early June. Take advantage of the preview plan, which is available with discount tickets, and enter the park a few hours before closing at no additional cost. Sundays evenings in June are often not very crowded as the travelers are heading home and it's mainly locals. If you want to visit the water park, keep in mind it does not open until Memorial Day weekend.

As for lodging, if you have a budgeted amount or other requirements and share that, we can better suggest options.

Bethel Park, PA
Level Contributor
642 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay & when to go?

We like Country Inn and Suites which is only a few minutes away. The address is in Hummelstown so I think that tends to confuse folks who are looking to stay in Hershey. Personally, I don't like to stay in Harrisburg as the only road to Hershey (Rt. 15 I think) can get really crowded.

Edited: 8:00 pm, February 07, 2014
PA
Destination Expert
for Hershey, Harrisburg
Level Contributor
3,045 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay & when to go?

You can stay in Harrisburg and totally avoid route 15. Also, there are several routes into Hershey from Harrisburg, depending upon which direction you are coming from. If you stay in the northern part of Harrisburg (Linglestown & Manada Hill area) you will take route 39 into Hershey which is usually not congested and is an easy 10 minute drive.

(Route 15 does not go directly to Hershey.)

Edited: 8:46 pm, February 07, 2014
6. Re: Where to stay & when to go?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, February 09, 2015