We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

February at Hershey - Lodge or Hotel?

Which Hershey hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Catonsville...
Level Contributor
27 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
February at Hershey - Lodge or Hotel?

My husband, son and I are heading to Hershey at the end of the month to enjoy a weekend of the Chocolate covered February events. On our previous trips to Hershey, we have stayed at the Hotel (and LOVED it). Most of the events my husband and I plan to do (Spa, Wine & Chocolate, etc.) are being held at the Hotel, but ... the indoor pool at the Hotel is closed for renovations. This was a big draw for my son, whom will have just turned three, previously.

So I am considering staying at the Lodge this time so that we have instant access to the pool. We'd be getting a resort babysitter for him during the times that my husband and I are enjoying the adults-only events over at the Hotel, so I was thinking the Lodge might have more fun activities for him anyways (the babysitters can't take them off the grounds - so wherever we stay, Lodge or Hotel - that's where he'll have to be for several hours while we are at the Hotel), and it's not a problem for us to drive to the Hotel for a few hours. Since it will be winter and there won't be outdoor activities or the Park to go to.

So ... will I be disappointed staying at the Lodge? I loved the ambiance of the Hotel - especially the Fountain Lobby - but for the price difference, it seems my son will be happier at the Lodge, and it's not biggie for us to go enjoy the Hotel for a bit.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
5,424 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: February at Hershey - Lodge or Hotel?

It's hard to answer your question of whether or not you will be disappointed in the Hershey Lodge, since you're talking to a guy that was quite pleased with the Days Inn down the street. I guess the question I need to ask you is, will you be disappointed without fancy fountains and other 4-star amenities? That answer will dictate your opinion on the Lodge. If you are ok with nicely appointed and well kept, then you'll be in good shape.

Hummelstown
Destination Expert
for Hershey
Level Contributor
428 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: February at Hershey - Lodge or Hotel?

It's hard to tell anyone whether something will meet their standards without knowing them. Here's my suggestion: stay at the Lodge this year and see what you think. You will save money, your son will have a pool, and you will have all the perks of staying at an Entertainment Company property.

It's not like the Lodge is a dump, it's a very nice hotel. It's just not an historic 4star resort. Honestly, it would be my choice with children because it is more laid back and the kids (and parents) can relax more. The Hotel is a lovely historic building and the constraints in behavior that (should) put on kids doesn't always make for the most fun.

Give the Lodge a try. You can always go back to the Hotel next year if you want. Hope you have fun!

Catonsville...
Level Contributor
27 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: February at Hershey - Lodge or Hotel?

Thanks guys, you've given me some things to think about that are helpful in my decision.

I suppose what I mean by "will I be disappointed" could be better phrased as: will the Hershey Lodge have enough to satisfy us spending a vacation weekend there. We are going to Hershey in the winter months specifically to enjoy the resort and its activities ... not to have a place to sleep while we go to the Park all day long. So knowing that, do you think the Lodge is as suitable as the Hotel to enjoy ourselves for three days.

Based on your answers, I'm leaning towards yes. And I like the idea of giving it a try and can always switch back in the future.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
5,424 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: February at Hershey - Lodge or Hotel?

Yes, bearing in mind that this isn't the Gaylord Opryland in Nasville or an all-inclusive beach resort in Maui. Check out their amenities and see if it's what you want.

www.hersheylodge.com

Barrington, New...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: February at Hershey - Lodge or Hotel?

Me and the fam. are heading to Hershey for Feb. vacation. We had researched both, and decided on the Hershey Lodge. Based on price difference, the Lodge is cheaper, and has plenty to do. Plus it's more of a country style setting, with a huge fireplace in the lobby..

The park won't be open, but there will be more than enough for us to do.

6. Re: February at Hershey - Lodge or Hotel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, February 13, 2015