We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chocolate Factory?

Lake Mary, Florida
Level Contributor
169 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Chocolate Factory?

I'm visiting Hershey Pa. in late August. I plan on arriving in early afternoon and than going to Hershey Park that night at 7:30 for the "Preview Deal" and than going back bright and early the next morning. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do the afternoon I arrive. Is the Chocolate Factory tour worth the time. I know it's not the same tour that I took with my parents in the 70's.I read about a 3D movie, my kids have seen enough of those. Any suggestions?

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
47 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chocolate Factory?

I am sure others have written about this, but the "Chocolate Factory" tour at ChocolateWorld is a mock up of the 'process' and not a working factory tour at all...with that in mind, anyone over 14 probably will be bored with it, but the free candy at the end is good. The 3-D movie is (in my opinion) a waste..very expensive for my family of 5 for the 15 minute production...similar to any 3-D experience, ala Bug's Life in Animal Kingdom. We opted to not do the train ride, as it was even more money. We spent about 90 minutes total shopping there and doing the 'tour' and movie...

PA
Destination Expert
for Hershey, Harrisburg
Level Contributor
2,813 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chocolate Factory?

The Chocolate World tour/ride is nice but it doesn't take long - 15 minutes tops. The 3D movie is a total waste - expensive and lasts about 10 minutes. There is the Hershey Museum and the Hershey Rose Gardens. In nearby Hummelstown is Indian Echo Caverns which is a small cavern - the tour is about 30 - 45 minutes.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,411 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chocolate Factory?

We were there a few weeks ago and spent about 2 hours in Hershey doing the tour, 3D movie (which we really enjoyed) and going thru the souvenier shop. How about Gettysburg? Spent a little time in the cemetary-could have been there longer but 9 year old was getting crabby. Downtown area looked great but we happened to hit it during "bike week"-Harleys everywhere and noplace to park. Also went out to the Boyds Bears Barn which my 9 year old did enjoy!

Anyways, we enjoyed our time in Hershey and thought the movie was worth the $20 for the 4 of us.

Lincoln, NE
Destination Expert
for Lincoln
Level Contributor
671 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chocolate Factory?

Is there a charge for the Chocolate Land Tour?

Romeo, Michigan
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chocolate Factory?

Thank you for posting the info that the Hershey chocoltate factory tour isn't of a "real" factory. My hubby and I will be traveling here for the first time, and I'd rather not waste my time and money, so I again thank you all for posting about that.

Slightly off-topic:

If anyone here later travels to Las Vegas, you might be interested in the Ethel M Chocolates which DOES have a tour of a real factory, or at least it did 15 years ago when we traveled there. It is still listed on there retail web site here...

http://www.ethelm.com/

Ethel M Chocolates are the "godiva-like" quality named for one of the Mars family (Hersheys great rival).

We found them to taste EXCELLENT and really enjoyed touring the smallish facility and the lovely little cactus garden.

Anyway, save the link for the website if you are inclined to go, and here is the street address as well...

Ethel M Chocolate Factory and Botanical Cactus Gardens

2 Cactus Garden Dr

Henderson, NV 89014-2312

-------------------------

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,411 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chocolate Factory?

Tourist2- there is no charge for the Chocolate Tour Ride. There is also no charge for parking if you're there less than 2 hours.

Lincoln, NE
Destination Expert
for Lincoln
Level Contributor
671 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chocolate Factory?

Thank you librarychick for the information.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
156 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chocolate Factory?

There is no charge for the factory simulation. It's not as bad as you think. I've been going there since the early 80's and each time we go it's a MUST THING to do. I heard they renovated it again this season.

Level Contributor
1,291 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chocolate Factory?

I am a kid at heart ,so Im sure if you are too you would enjoy the tour, and the 3D movie....

Sewell, New Jersey
Level Contributor
208 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Chocolate Factory?

B-Doug ... with ya on that one ... it's tradition ... the day that we're leavin' Hershey ... we get to the Park ... do the Chocolate World Parking .... do the tour ... it's a must !!! ... and then on to the store before our 2 hour drive home !!!

I'm glad to hear there are more of *us* out there !!!!!