We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barely 2 days in PA - HP and Amish Country - need a strategy

Which Hershey hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
1 post
Save Topic
Barely 2 days in PA - HP and Amish Country - need a strategy

We are visiting PA July 4 - July 6 (for the One Direction Concert on July 5). I have 13 year old Twin girls who want to see/do as much as possible, including Amish Country. I need a strategy! We've never been to PA before. We arrive at noon on Thur 7/4 and plan to leave at 2pm on Sat 7/6. It's not a lot of time - any itinerary suggestions would be very helpful.

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,495 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Barely 2 days in PA - HP and Amish Country - need a strategy

I will let others comment on pow to spend your time in Hershey.

The Pa Dutch attractions are about an hour from Herheypark. Your best day to go there would be Friday(since the attactions tend to close fairly early and your concert is not until 7:30) or Saturday (If Lancaster is on your way home from Hershey).

Check the excellant tourist website www.padutchcontry.com to try to focus in on what your teens want to see most. Do they want to learn more about the Amish? Ride in a buggy? Shop the outlets? You need to focus on the two or three activities they will enjoy most.

One tip: your kids are too old for Dutch Wonderland Hershey park is a much better Amusement park for them.

Edited: 7:15 am, June 19, 2013
Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,495 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Barely 2 days in PA - HP and Amish Country - need a strategy

Sorry, I mispelled the tourist link. It is www.padutchcountry.com

PA
Destination Expert
for Hershey, Harrisburg
Level Contributor
2,707 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Barely 2 days in PA - HP and Amish Country - need a strategy

There is obviously enough to do in Hershey to fill your 2 days. You will need to focus on what you really want to see & do. In my opinion, the expense of admission to Hersheypark means I would want to spend the entire day at the park. So, if experiencing Hersheypark - rides, water park, shows, zoo, etc - is most important, then I would spend as much of the day as possible at the park. You could also visit Chocolate World, at the entrance to the park before/after you visit the park. There is a discount plan available to concert goers (see below copied from the Hersheypark website).

Hersheypark Concert Deal

Ride the day away at Hersheypark before you rock and roll all night! Hersheypark offers a special discounted admission price of just $38.95* to concert-goers when using a Park ticket the day before, day of, or day after a concert. Concert-goers can present their concert ticket at the Hersheypark Front Gate on one of the three days to receive the discount, or they can buy their Park ticket at the Giant Center Box Office when they purchase concert tickets. Concert special admission tickets do not qualify for the Preview Plan. *All purchased tickets are subject to $.85 amusement tax.

If you want an overview of the Hershey area, then I would suggest a visit to Hershey's Chocolate World and then taking the Hershey Trolley Works Tour (departs from Chocolate World) which would show you and tell you about the history of the Hershey area. You could also visit The Hershey Story which is a museum about Milton S. Hershey and chocolate making. The Hershey Gardens are also beautiful.

Elizabethtown...
Level Contributor
986 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Barely 2 days in PA - HP and Amish Country - need a strategy

It may depend on where you are driving from and heading to on Saturday. Can you catch PA Dutch sites on your way to and from Hershey and then use the day of the concert with your discounted tickets to focus on Hershey?

5. Re: Barely 2 days in PA - HP and Amish Country - need a strategy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 21, 2014