We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 days at hershey park or one there and one at Dutch...

new york state
Level Contributor
26 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
2 days at hershey park or one there and one at Dutch...

Hi, thought I had my vacation all planned but now not sure. It's me and my 5 yr. old daughter. Was going to do 2 days at hershey park but from what I'm reading one day may be enough. i also thought Chocolate World would be a full day trip. Is Choc. world in or attached to Hershey Park? All and any advice appreciated!

Southeast PA
Level Contributor
194 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 days at hershey park or one there and one at Dutch...

With a 5 year old, 1 day at Hershey Park may be enough... since you won't be hitting all the rides (based on her size, height). She would enjoy Dutch wonderland.. It's more for younger kids, than tweens/teens. Chocolate world doesn't have a whole lot that would interest her,other than the "factory "ride, which doesn't take long.

Southeast PA
Level Contributor
194 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 days at hershey park or one there and one at Dutch...

I will add, though, that if you prefer to go at a slower pace, stop for lunch, enjoy a favorite ride more than once, etc. you could spend 2 days a Hershey. Especially if you spend 1 day at Zoo America. Now, I haven't been to the Zoo myself, so maybe I'm off on this one. I guess this all depends on how you like to do your vacations....hurried or relaxed. It's up to you.

CT
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 days at hershey park or one there and one at Dutch...

Chocolate world is located at the entrance to Hershey park. It is a free attraction that traces the cocoa bean from harvest to chocolate. It is a ride thru attraction and probably takes no longer than 10 minutes, excluding line time. I have not been to Dutch Wonderland in years, so I cannot comment. I would recommend starting at Hershey, including zoo america. It is a very spread out park, so see how much you see and if you want to return day 2 or if you've hit the areas you want to see, try Dutch wonderland on day 2. It may depend on when you go, how crowded the park is, etc. Have fun. Hershey is a clean, family oriented park and you will feel comfortable there!

Hershey, PA
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 days at hershey park or one there and one at Dutch...

Hi,

One day at Hershey Park is plenty for a young child. Lots of walking.

You could spend your second day visiting Chocolate World (free)

in the morning (an hour or two if you want to have lunch there) and then go to Zoo America in the afternoon for about two hours or so. You will have to drive from one to the other, but they are fairly close by.

Dutch Wonderland (a kiddee park) is in Lancaster County - so you could go there the next day if you want more park time. You might want to visit some of the outlets nearby. One is Tanger Outlets and the other is Rockvale.

There are plenty of other shops and lots of restaurants, and fast food places nearby. Other attractions are the Landis Valley Museum (like a small Williamsburg), Hands on House, Strasburgh Railroad.

Have fun!

We live in Hershey and love it.

cortlandt manor, ny
Level Contributor
51 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 days at hershey park or one there and one at Dutch...

One day at Hershey should be enough at that age. I highly recommend Dutch Wonderland. It is designed with the under 8 crowd in mind, the lines are shorter, the park is easy to walk around and (most important to my 6 yr old) the kids can go on everything(no tears for being too short). Chocolate world was cute but shouldn't take more than an hour. Have fun

Elizabethville...
Level Contributor
199 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 days at hershey park or one there and one at Dutch...

I think the question you need to be asking is what days to you plan on going to the parks? Will you be going on a Saturday and Sunday? or will you be going on a weekday? Crowds and lines tend to be longer on the weekends at both Dutch Wonderland and Hershey Park.

Can't really tell you a whole lot about Dutch Wonderland, since its been years since I've been there. Hershey Park, I can help with though.

From the Hershey Park parking lot, Chocolate World is the big building that you'll pass on your right as you walk to the main park gates.

Aside from the free Chocolate World Ride that can sometimes have a big line (I understand the ride has been totally revamped this year, so lines might not be an issue), you'll also find there's the 3d Adventure Movie (musical about 20 mins. in length with dancing hershey's kisses and candy bars!) which you and your 5 year old will both like, especially if you go to the park on a hot day (air conditioning!). In addition, if you are going to buy Hershey memorabilia and candy, buy it here at the end of the day on the way back to your car.

As for ZooAmerica (usually open from 10-8 in season), its not like some big metropolitan zoo, if you don't stop to read all the little signs, you could breeze through the zoo in less than two hours, maybe even less than an hour. There are two ways to do ZooAmerican: 1. You can visit it by itself. If you do, you want to keep in mind that ZooAmerica has its own parking lot and non-park entrance (ZooAmerica is on the other side of the park from the main parking lots). 2. You can couple it with your Park Trip and enter through the park (from the main park entrance, head southeasterly all the way to the other side of the park over by the Kissing Tower (a "Must do" for all park visitors) and the speedway (little kids love riding in the speedway cars). Whether or not you go to ZooAmerica, I recommend you start the day from this part of the park since lines at the Kissing Tower can get very long some days.

Also, on that side of the park you'll find the aquatheater, which is great if you like the Dolphin Show sort of thing.

new york state
Level Contributor
26 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 days at hershey park or one there and one at Dutch...

Thank you so much for all the info. but we're already a week back from our trip. We did go 2 days to Herseypark, wed. and Fri., Thurs. to Lancaster and Sat. to Dutch Wonderland. Everything went great. Really no lines at all anywhere.I would say 2 days was a bit much at Hershey. One and a half would've been better, but I payed for it and I was going to get my money's worth. My daughter wasn't sick of it. At 5 she was able to go on 2 big roller coasters and we did them over and over. My only regret was not being able to go on the other coasters since it was just the two of us. Dutch wonderland seemed a little kiddyish after Hershey and the big coasters but my daughter had a lot of fun.

8. Re: 2 days at hershey park or one there and one at Dutch...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:24 am, August 16, 2009