We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay

Kentucky
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Where to stay

Where is a good place for a family of 4 to stay who are on a budget, would like to stay at a nice place (clean with a pool, restaurant, gym,) close to the attractions?

Dundee, Michigan
Level Contributor
760 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay

I can only tell you where NOT to stay: stay away from the Comfort Suites in Grantville, PA. It is advertised as a Hershey hotel but it is actually about a 10-15 min. scenic drive from Hershey. That is not the problem. We stayed there last summer and it was horrible in every way. The front desk personnel as well as the rest of the staff were rude and inattentive. The only pool is an indoor one and it is not nearly big enough for the number of rooms in the hotel. Every time we tried to use the pool it was jammed full of people as was the jacuzzi. We did manage to use the pool once early in the morning and the towels that they provided in the pool area were damp and smelled like sweat. Gross!! The room where the continental breakfast is served is also woefully inadequate in size for the number of guests and there were long lines snaking into the corridors, as well as a smoky haze hanging in the air from the belgian waffle makers. Last but not least, when I was in the middle of a shower one evening all of the water to our room shut off completely and did not come back on for almost an hour, even after my husband called the front desk and told them about the problem.

There are so many options in the Hershey area. Please be careful and don't make the same mistake that we did. If you read the Tripadvisor reviews for this hotel I think that you will find that most of the people who stayed there had the same type of experience that we did.

Hershey...
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay

I live in the Hershey area - how close do you want to be to the park? There area hotels outside of the Hershey area that might be less expensive. The White Rose in Hershey is one that one that we recommend to those on a budget but they don't have a gym or restaurant. The Hampton in Hershey might fit your needs but it doesn't have a restaurant although there are ones nearby.

York, PA
Level Contributor
2,525 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay

The White Rose Motel is an excellent, well-kept independently owned and operated motel that I have heard numerous positive comments about lately. It is located east of Hershey Park on 422. Unlike some of the other hotels in Hershey, this one is actually quite reasonably priced. The rooms are clean and comfortable. If you are looking for a decent hotel/motel at a reasonable price, then you will most likely enjoy staying at the White Rose. They have an outdoor pool and there are several restaurants nearby. If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.

Philadelphia area
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay

Try the 1825 Inn in nearby Palmyra, PA. www.1825inn.com.

New jersey
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay

Not to be confused with Sultana, there is a Holiday Inn in Grantville next to the Comfort Suite. We stay there with family of 5 for 4 yrs now. Very clean, they have indoor and outdoor pool, 2 restaurants in hotel, children eat free coupons. Good kids menus, nice buffets, live entertainment on some nites. Our kids only want to stay there now, after few yrs of sampling others.

Dundee, Michigan
Level Contributor
760 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay

I sure do wish that we would have chosen that hotel instead of the Comfort Suites then, because it was truly awful! PLEASE...if you stay in Grantville choose the Holiday Inn that this person has described and NOT the Comfort Suites!

New jersey
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay

And sounds like lucky we didn't stay at Comfort, we almost did once when we were booking last minute but ended up getting in Holiday Inn. Thanks for info.

Clifton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
110 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay

Not sure when you are going, but we got a great rate (we are going with a group) at the Best Western Hershey Inn for 4th of July Weekend. We actually got the rate from June 29 - July 5th, but I heard you can get it through the 6th or 7th (some other families did that). Rate was $110 per night. I have the group code if someone wants it (not sure how many rooms are left. Email address - teamtravel@optonline.net. You book directly with the hotel and price includes breakfast for up to 4 people in the room. We never would have been able to afford this otherwise.