We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to Hershey from Mystic, CT

Which Hershey hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mass.
Level Contributor
45 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Driving to Hershey from Mystic, CT

My family will be driving to Hershey after a stopover in Mystic CT for our vacation. Every route on Google maps looks like it goes through New York City. Should we plan extra time for traffic? Or is there a better way to go? We are traveling on a weekday, but I don't know if we will hit rush hour or not.

Harrisburg, PA
Level Contributor
509 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving to Hershey from Mystic, CT

Take I-287 West and cross the Tappen-Zee bridge west of White Plains ... follow I-287 to I-78 W in NJ near Bridgewater.

Elizabethtown...
Level Contributor
986 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving to Hershey from Mystic, CT

We have good friends that live in Westchester Co. just north of NYC. We've used the Tappen-Zee and the George Washington. I've driven all the major routes that take you North. Google Maps takes you across the Bronx, not Manhattan. You'll be on highway the entire way. I'm not 100% convinced Lasagna's idea is any better than the Google Maps version. It's kinda a "6 of one, half dozen of another" kind of situation to me, having done them both.

Personally, I think it is always a good idea to plan for the possibility of heavy traffic when traveling around a major metropolitan area, and NYC is almost as major as it gets. To me, that means have a full tank and some drinks/snacks available in the car. With kids, something to entertain them is a good idea on any long drive.

Good luck and have a great vacation!

Reading, PA
Level Contributor
188 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving to Hershey from Mystic, CT

You could go Route 84 to Rt. 81, this would be only about 30-45 minutes longer of a drive but the traffic would not be nearly as much as near New York City, largest city you'd go pass is Scranton, PA. And those highways have beautiful views.

Mass.
Level Contributor
45 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving to Hershey from Mystic, CT

Thank you for the tips, everyone. I will definitely check them out.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
15 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving to Hershey from Mystic, CT

I agree with lasagna - avoid NYC if you can. My family lives in NJ and I live in MA, I always go over the Tappan Zee Bridge.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
352 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving to Hershey from Mystic, CT

Don't know if you have done your trip yet or not. I would second using 84 to 81. Everything depends upon the hours you are on the road. That is why I favor using 84 to 81. Anytime after morning rush hour through New Haven, Hartford, Watebury and Danbury, the larger cities you would hit using 84 to 81 should be OK.. If you leave Mystic around 9am you should be able to avoid any major tie ups. Traffic can get heavy in the afternoon coming into Harrisburg but should be OK as you will be getting off 81 to go to Hershey. There may be traffic delays on 81. We call it Orange Barrel days. Orange barrels for miles and no workers in site. Google traffic construction on each route you consider and make your decision from there. I most always use this route (no tolls) heading west versus a lot of tolls on other routes. Just make sure you gas tank is full and know that once you pass Port Jervis and head into the Poconos gas stations are fewer to find as well as places to eat. A lot of people stop in Lord's Valley as there is a McDonalds and gas stations. Once you hit Scranton, there are lots of places for gas and eats off 81 South.

7. Re: Driving to Hershey from Mystic, CT

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, June 21, 2013