We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leaving the Park to Eat

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
53 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Leaving the Park to Eat

Are you able to leave the park to eat and re-enter? Also are there any fastfood locations near by?

Elizabethtown...
Level Contributor
986 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Leaving the Park to Eat

Yes, and yes -- sort of.... You can get your hand stamped to re-enter the park, but I don't know how you can leave the parking lot and not have to pay to re-enter that.... I have a season pass, so I never have to pay parking anyway. Perhaps someone else knows if you can use the little parking ticket they give you to re-enter.

There are things like Wendy's and McDonald's nearby, also casual sit-down restaurants like Red Robin, Friendly's and Pizza Hut. A lot of people looking to save money pack coolers and eat at one of the picnic tables out in the parking area. They also sell a meal ticket - look under the food & beverage section of their website for details regarding what food it is actually good for.

PA
Destination Expert
for Hershey, Harrisburg
Level Contributor
3,161 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Leaving the Park to Eat

from the Hershey Park web site:

Can I leave the park and return in the same day without paying?

Yes. Guests may leave and re-enter the park as often as they wish. You will need to get their hands stamped as you exit the first time. The hand stamp is waterproof so you can go swimming and then return. Show your Parking Stub at the parking gate as well for free re-admission.

gettysburg, pa
Destination Expert
for Gettysburg
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Leaving the Park to Eat

I think that the hassle of leaving the park and re-entering might outweigh any food savings. Parking is very spread out. You might end up with a 20-30 minute walk back to the car, a 10-minute drive just to get out of the parking lot, and then the entire thing in reverse once you return.

If you are there on a cloudy day when it is not crowded, it might be more worthwhile...

Also, remember that you can request "a cup of water" at restaurants in the park and it will be free. Many people don't know this, and it can really lessen the expense of a day in the park.

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
216 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Leaving the Park to Eat

Well Cbell94 you've caught on to one of my fav. hershey park tricks, I have numerous times without any hassle left the park to grab a bite to eat so as to not have to pay the exorbitant price they charge inside. Furthermore, it adds a nice break to the day especially if its a hot one a lil A/C in the car can make all the difference.

Hummelstown
Destination Expert
for Hershey
Level Contributor
442 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Leaving the Park to Eat

You're not hassled at all about leaving the park which is very nice. If you are going to leave to eat and maybe hang out in your hotel for awhile to relax, I think that is a great idea. If you are purely leaving to spend less money, I think you might find alot of frustration at the lines to park your car and the lines to reenter the park. You will have to go through security again and those lines often long.

I have a couple of suggestion regarding eating in the park...

*Famiglia pizza is by far the cheapest option when eating with a family. Order pizza by the pie, not slice and it is not that badly priced (I think $20?) There are two locations, one as you enter the park on your right and one down by the tidal wave. I think the one by the entrance of the park is less busy - and more shady for sure!

*Ask for water or purchase a refillable cup, both of which were already mentioned. If your family is like mine and doesn't mind drinking from the same cup, the refillable cup is a huge savings.

* A great place to sit down in a/c for a meal is the Tudor Grill. It is outside the ticket area, so you will have to get your hand stamped when you leave and go through security after your meal, but the prices are like any chain in the area. I like the food and selection and it saves you the parking problems.

While Hersheypark doesn't allow picnicing within the park, they certainly do not confiscate normal amounts of snacks. I will often bring along a box of goldfish or bag of pretzels and put in in my bag. I have never been questioned. I'm sure it would be a differerent story if you were to come in with a cooler...

If you do leave the park, one of my personal favorite restaurants in town is Dafnos. The food is good and the prices are reasonable. It's on Chocolate Ave next to Fuddruckers, Issac's ,etc.

Have fun!

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
53 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Leaving the Park to Eat

This is just what I needed. Thanks for the help!

7. Re: Leaving the Park to Eat

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, September 27, 2010