We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hershey KOA Campground

Which Hershey hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York, NY
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Hershey KOA Campground

Just wondering if anyone can shed some light on the Hershey?elizabethtown KOA Campground? I'm oplanning a trip in July 2010 and just was wondering if this campground is one of the nicer campgrounds in the area. If not can anyone let me know which other campgrounds are in this area?

Thanks for your help!

Hummelstown
Destination Expert
for Hershey
Level Contributor
428 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hershey KOA Campground

I have never been to the KOA you're talking about. As campers ourselves, however, I feel that KOAs are pretty standard. I choose a KOA because of its location only. I would not stay at one to actually "go camping".

You mentioned other campgrounds in the area....are you going to Hersheypark in particular or just this general area?

If Hersheypark is your main destination, I would recommend Hershey Highmeadow campground. It is very close to the park and they run a shuttle.

Is it a great camping experience? I would say no, but I would say the same about a KOA. The sites are close but the amenities are plentiful. It is well kept and the staff is nice. (We store our RV there). I would imagine it can get loud at night because the train track runs along the one side of it.

I will take a look at other campgrounds as I travel about this week and see if I can come up with any better information for you!

New York, NY
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hershey KOA Campground

Thank you so much for the quick response and the fact that you will be looking out other camgrounds in the area. I am new to this whole camping thing and have heard that the Highmeadow campsite is nice BUT the TRAINS are very very loud and sometimes unbearable. I've heard good things about the KOA sites but again I've never been to any of these. They seem to have alot for the kids to do and look "CLEAN" which is a HUGE deal for the wife. LOL. I will be visiting Hershey Park but I will also be doing the "Lancaster Thing" as well as outlet shopping. So any information that you might be able to give me on nice sites in the area would greatly be appreciated. I will not be going until late July so we have time to find a site but I would guess I would need to book them sooner rather than later...

Thanks again for your help and I look forward to hearing from you again.

Elizabethtown...
Level Contributor
986 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hershey KOA Campground

I have never been to the campground, but live in E-town. If you are planning on doing both Hershey and Lancaster, you will not be in a bad location, about 30 mins. from each, depending upon traffic. I, personally prefer the outlets in Hershey. Although much smaller, they are often less crowded; from here, the traffic in and out of the Lancaster outlets can be unbearable. From E-town, the outlets in Hershey are just more convenient.

Hummelstown
Destination Expert
for Hershey
Level Contributor
428 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hershey KOA Campground

I still haven't gotten to the KOA, but I wanted to let you know I stopped by the Hershey Conowago campground when I drove past it by chance the other day. Not a nice place at all!

I will still try to get to the KOA...

New York, NY
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hershey KOA Campground

Thank you SO MUCH FOR THE RESPONSE!! I have read several reviews stating the same thing in regards to the Conowaga campground. That will certainly not be one of my for sure now that you have seen it in person!! Thanks again and I look forward to your response in regards to the Hershey KOA...

Hummelstown
Destination Expert
for Hershey
Level Contributor
428 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hershey KOA Campground

I stopped by the Hershey KOA Campground today.

It was your typical KOA - sites close together, but neat and clean with relatively new looking bathhouses, etc. It appeared to be completly acceptable, though the road in the campground were a bit rough.

If you are comparing the KOA to Highmeadow, I would think about the following things:

*Are you comfortable on small roads? Getting to the KOA is all small roads and you go throught the center of small town (Elizabethtown) once you get off of 283. It takes longer than the miles would indicate. It is all roads of a significant size to get to Highmeadow.

*Will you want to go out for dinner, etc? There is very little around the KOA, just the opposite at Highmeadow.

*What is most important, proximity to attractions or being away from the hustle and bustle? Highmeadow wins for proximity-perhaps even to Lancaster because of the different quality of roads- but KOA wins as far as distance from hustle and bustle.

* How important is it that it is quiet at night? The train runs right past Highmeadow, so it certainly will not be silent. There will also be some road noise. The KOA should be pretty quiet. It is in a residental area, though a train does go through Elizabethtown.

If it was my family, I would choose Highmeadow simply because we typically decide to focus on proximity when we camp for the purpose of visiting attractions, but that is just us. You can also catch a shuttle at Highmeadow to take you to Hersheypark, avoiding the $10 parking fee and hassle of parking and walking (sometimes pretty good distances!) from your car to the entrance. The shuttle can also get you to all of the other Hershey attractions free of cost. In my mind, the train noise is the only real drawback to Highmeadow and only you can factor in the significance of that.

One quick note on the outlets. The Outlets at Hershey are fine. I shop there all of the time, but there just aren't that many different stores or variety. I would recommend the outlets in Lancaster - there are two, Rockvale and Tanger- if you want to do some serious shopping. They are both on rt 30 (Lincoln Hwy). Keep in mind that rt 30 can be horrible with traffic! Both will be on your right side when you go to Lancaster from Hershey.

I hope this helped a little. Let me know if I can help with anything else!

New York, NY
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hershey KOA Campground

HELLO:

All I can say is thank you thank you thank you for all your help... I'm so greatful that you've visited both campsites and given me such great reviews. I've spoken to my wife and she is very skeptical about having the trains run all night long with the kids. We will be tent camping which will make the noise probably very unbearable.. i'm now looking into possible campsites in the Lancaster/Amish area to see what choices I have. If you have any ideas or reviews of campsites in Lancaster please let me know.

Again I can't thank you enough for all that you have done.

I look forward for any information that you may have on the Lancaster/Amish area campsites.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,729 posts
1,024 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hershey KOA Campground

Hi, I got here via a roundabout route (!), since I've never been in this part of the USA.

But wanted to give you some websites, gades203, which might help you with your planning, and finding campgrounds or RV parks:

http://www.rv-clubs.us/rv_campgrounds.html

http://www.rvparkhunter.com/page2.asp

http://www.rvparkreviews.com/index.html

I suggest them for many visitors to the western US, so hopefully you can get some use out of them :-)

Elizabethtown...
Level Contributor
986 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hershey KOA Campground

I live in Elizabethtown, so I wanted to give you some idea of distances from the KOA campground to sights. You won't take Rt. 283 (the highway) to Hershey from Elizabethtown. You take a smaller non-limited access road Rt. 743 to get to Hershey. We have season passes to the park, season passes to the Herhsey Bears, and my son plays hockey in Hershey - so this is a drive we make often. I live on the same side of town as the KOA and it takes me 35 mins. to get to the park and it is actually a very straight forward drive. You would take Rt. 283 from Elizabethtown to Lancaster. Depending on where you are going in Lancaster... it takes me 25 mins. to get to center city. Probably 35 to get to the attractions on Rt. 30, but that is traffic dependent, which is why I don't go out there often. So you can see, it is very equidistant. I totally agree that it really depends on how much time you plan to spend in each place and what areas you hope to see. Hope this can help in your decision making.

Irwin, Pennsylvania
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Hershey KOA Campground

Hello,

Post is a bit dated but I just had my first experience at Hershey Park and this KOA campground. Not a bad campground in spite of the fact we were told it was okay to check in about 2 hours early with a fee after we called and when we arrived the owner greeted us at the office/store by swinging it open wildly with a loud bang. Apparently the office/store was closed at that time (little strange) but I approached another woman behind the counter who graciously took my information and proceeded to check me in. The woman who opened the door returned behind the counter and began to complain angrily to the other woman that "the store was closed (because other people came in to buy something) and we don't do early check-in's" never looking at me but then she ranted and slammed some things then went away into another room. I asked if that was the owner or something and to my surprise she said yes. I could not believe attitude she presented in front of a customer! Plus the fact that we called in advance to confirm the early check in was acceptable, and plus the fact that it wasn't like they were doing me a favor or something... I was getting charged for it. I have been to many KOA's and all have been gracious and appreciative of their customers but I was shocked with how I was treated, let me repeat "from the owner". I intend to return every year to Hershey Park with my wife and 4 small children but will NEVER stay at this KOA. This owner does the KOA name a disservice. The campground overall is descent, bathrooms were clean (but mens smelled like urine), nice playgrounds for kids (2 of them), gravel drive throughout and nice heated pool (not the baby pool though). All other staff we ran into were courteous but given the fact I was treated in such a manner from the owner I will stay elsewhere as there are many other places to camp in the area who surely would be glad to get my business. Had a fantastic time at Hershey Park!