We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hershey Park & Dutch Wonderland with young toddler?

Sterling, Virginia
Level Contributor
160 posts
197 reviews
Save Topic
Hershey Park & Dutch Wonderland with young toddler?

We're thinking of taking a mini-vacation to the Lancaster/Hershey area sometime this summer (mid-week to avoid major crowds). We have a 17 month old (in August when we'd probably go she'll be 18 months). She LOVED our trip to Disneyland earlier this year, but we don't know much about Hershey Park and Dutch Wonderland. I wouldn't expect them to be like Disneyland, but would she enjoy herself? It seems like DW caters to young kids, but can kids that young really go on a lot of rides? Would she have to go by herself or could we go with her? What about Hershey Park? Both sites look like they have a lot of rides for her size (under 36 inches), but they don't give major descriptions of what the rides are actually like. We did do Chocolate World with her last summer, and she enjoyed that as much as anyone would expect a 6 month old to. :o) My husband went to HP as a kid, but I've never been, and neither of us have been to DW.

Any suggestions as to if these would be fun places for our family?

If they would, any great suggestions for places to stay? We'd prefer a "two room" kind of suite (we normally do Homewood or Embassy Suites) so we don't have to whisper after our daughter goes to sleep, and I need internet so I can work while we're away (boo! but we need to be able to afford the trip, ha!). Thanks so much for your help!!

Southeastern...
Level Contributor
334 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Hershey Park & Dutch Wonderland with young toddler?

I'm sure that you've made your plans, but if you haven't read the post-Review of Hershey Park 6/30/50

perhaps you should. When I said that I remember feeling very small, this person summed the whole

thing up extremely well.I always want people to be happy, call it a character flaw. Have a good time.

6/30-my birthday, I don't know why I read this tonight.

Lancaster, PA
Level Contributor
2,955 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Hershey Park & Dutch Wonderland with young toddler?

I'll make no bones about personally disliking HP and I personally think somebody had one too many at the local tavern while planning out this boardwalk area but the woman's review on 06/30 needs a few comments. One - had I seen 200 people waiting in line for a rental box I personally would have turned around and ran. She choose to wait in line.

My comment however has to do with her post concerning the amount of time it took to re-open the water area after the storm. PA law is very clear on the rules lifeguards/water park employees must follow after a storm. I'm sure the employees were only doing as they were told. You see - had they not done the post storm inspection and/or waited the appropriate amount of time by law to reopen and there was an injury - people would be screaming about how irresponsible they were. But if they do the inspections then people scream about having to stand in the hot sun waiting until the they finish so they can get back in the water. Personally in this case - I'll side with the more cautious approach.

23. Re: Hershey Park & Dutch Wonderland with young toddler?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:19 pm, October 03, 2009