We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hershey/Amish Country

Connecticut
Level Contributor
264 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Hershey/Amish Country

Hi. Myself, husband and two children boy 12, girl 11 are planning a weekend trip from Connecticut to Pennsylvania. My husband is interested in visiting the Amish Country and the kids would love a day or day and a half at Hershey. We're looking at the 2nd or 3rd weekend in May.

My main question is what is the driving distance from the Lancaster Area to Hershey?

I was thinking we'd leave Friday morning, drive through to Lancaster...sightsee, have dinner and stay the night there (preferably with a nice indoor pool) and then leave Saturday around lunchtime for Hershey. Maybe do Hershey Saturday night (reduced admission?) and then all day on Sunday. Drive home Sunday night or Monday morning depending on what time we leave the park and how tired we are.

Any hotel/restaurant suggestions would also be appreciated! Thanks so much in advance.

scw
Bear, Delaware
Level Contributor
479 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hershey/Amish Country

monaghme, the driving distance from Lancaster CITY to Hershey is about 30 miles. Most forum members would recommend the Best Western Eden Resort, Willow Valley (golf) Resort or the Best Western Revere Tavern. Weekends in PA Dutch Country will be crowded. Expect lots of traffic. I'm sure the kids would love taking a steam engine ride on the Strasburg Railroad. I don't want to speak bad about Hershey Park (we've been there numerous times), but why spend $45 per person plus parking and high food costs when you can visit a top-rated family amusement park in Elysburg, PA called Knoebels. Free admission, free parking, free entertainment and cheap, but good food. You can buy individual ride tickets or pay-one-price hand stamps. Take a look at Knoebels website and make your own decision.

Steve

Lancaster, PA
Level Contributor
2,955 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hershey/Amish Country

The driving time from Lancaster to Hershey 45 minutes. I agree with the suggestion of staying at the Eden Resort Inn. It is a very nice hotel.

I know you didn't ask but I'll tell you anyway!! If this were my trip this is how I'd do it.

Friday: Arrive in Lancaster around noon - Head to Strasburg RR and eat on the dining car or if it is a nice day, buy a box lunch, and get off at the picnic grove and have a picnic (train stops 1/2 way through the ride to let people off to have a picnic) You can get back on the next train to continue your ride. Next head to the Amish Farms and tour a real working Amish Farm. Then head to Ed's buggy rides for a ride in an Amish buggy. Have dinner, my suggestion in that part of town is the Iron Horse Inn. Then after dinner head to the Village Greens mini golf (this course is so much fun.) By the way all of the above places are within about a mile of each other) After golf - head to the Eden and swim (Pool is open until 10PM

Saturday - Breakfast at Lyndon Diner - then head into Lancaster City. Go though Central Market - great stands - you name the food and I bet they have it (pick up items for your lunch,) then to the Lancaster Museum of Art. Until May 20, LMOA has the absolute coolest display of Lego Art. The guy who did this show is AMAZING. My family including a 17 year old girl and 19 year old boy loved it. Head back to the resort, swim, eat your lunch from Central market right around the pool they have tables and chairs. Then head back into Lancaster city (its only about 6 minutes from the Eden) and go to a Lancaster Barnstormers Baseball game (this only works if you go the weekend of May 20, 7:05 game on Sat.) This is not your typical baseball game. They do stuff the entire game to keep the fans involved. I am not much of a baseball fan and I love going to these games. Your kids will love it. After the game - back to the Eden

Sunday - Head to Hershey Park

I'll tell you why I did the schedule that way. The night before Hershey Park is only good for 2 hours before closing. To me its not worth it. Plus, by staying in Lancaster you are going to save a lot of money on your hotel. To me one day at HP is plenty. Just a suggestion. Enjoy your trip. Any questions please ask.

New York
Level Contributor
344 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hershey/Amish Country

Almost a repeat about what the other posters said. We stayed at the Eden and it took us 40 minutes to get to Hershey Park. Once you get to the Eden you won't want to leave. It's convenient to all the places in Lancaster. We are going back and will only stay at the Eden, book the two room suite if you can afford it. I think 1 day in May should be enough for you especially since it won't be warm enough for the water rides. If you've never been to Hershey it is worth it. We have been to Knoebels many times but once the kids reach a certain age (10 and up) its not thrilling anymore. It's an old time amusement park and plenty of rides for little ones. If your kids want more thrill rides definitely go to hershey.

If you want to be a little closer to the park look at hotels out of Hershey because they will be cheaper.

Have Fun!!!

Plattsburg NY
Level Contributor
35 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hershey/Amish Country

I suggest Willow Valley while your kids are a little on the older side for the indoor water park I think they might enjoy it, not to mention the TWO indoor pools, outdoor pool, and two jacuzzis. Food is great there also. I'm a slow driver hate interstate traffic so I take the back roads from Lancaster to Hershey (still only one hour) one way.

I strongly agree about visiting Hershey Park Saturday night. The lights from the rides make Hershey Park at night extra special!!! Sunday is a good idea it quiets down in the evening a great deal. Save a little time either Saturday afternoon or night (befor going to the park) for Chocolate World. Simulated factory tour and great chocolate shopping!! Driveing home after the park is not advisable. It is a park for those in good physical condition (lots of hills). Hills can be avoided with good planning. After dark Saturday around 9:00PM ride the kissing tower great view of the park and lights then on your way out ride the monorail also great night views. Don't forget fireworks on Saturday nights on May 4 then every Saturday after Memorial day. (Not sure of fireworks schedule.) Good luck have fun any other questions please ask.

5. Re: Hershey/Amish Country

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:23 am, August 31, 2009