We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Greyhound bus

North East England...
Level Contributor
310 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Greyhound bus

Hi, we will be visiting Harrisburg in Mid October travelling up from Washington DC. As we are from the UK I would like the experience of travelling on the Greyhound bus. We are returning to Washington DC by train. Am I correct in thinking the bus station is near the Amtrac rail station?

Any other comments re Greyhound are appreciated. Thanks

PA
Destination Expert
for Hershey, Harrisburg
Level Contributor
2,865 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Greyhound bus

Yes, the bus station is on the lower level of the train station.

North East England...
Level Contributor
310 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Greyhound bus

Thanks for that....more questions will follow!

Elizabethtown...
Level Contributor
986 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Greyhound bus

I just wanted to make sure you understand that there is no train between Washington, DC and Harrisburg. You will take the train to Philadelphia then switch trains to go to D.C. Which is perfect if you plan to spend time in Philly, but a long way around if you don't.

As to the Greyhound, I've never taken it in my life. My college roommate got back and forth between school and home on it regularly, but I lived too rural to use a bus and either needed to rely on mom/dad/siblings or in later years got a car. The time of Greyhound being a traditional American way to travel is kind of long gone, to be honest. The company seems to be dying, though that could just be my perception because I never hear about anyone using it anymore. At least not for about 20 yrs. There are deeply discounted bus companies such as Mega Bus that I hear about young people taking quite frequently because of its low cost.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with utilizing Greyhound to travel while in the U.S. if it meets up with your destinations. I'm just surprised it is seen as a something to do for the experience. :)

Harrisburg, PA
Level Contributor
509 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Greyhound bus

I'm going to second thefourski's comments. While there is certainly nothing wrong with taking the bus, it's generally not a very "fun" experience. Sure, it gets you where you're going, but it's certainly not the common method of tourist travel here. Train travel is fine -- I use it whenever I travel to NYC and from DC to get to Philadelphia or NYC, it would be an excellent choice. To get to Harrisburg as mentioned is a bit more effort as you change trains in Philadelphia with a layover usually. For the distance involved, most folks would recommend just renting a car and driving -- it's only a few hours by car and if you avoid rush hours it's not a bad drive. Provided you have a driver's license -- if I can master driving on the "wrong" side of the road when I visited your fine country, I'm sure you can master driving on the "right" side of the road over here. :-)

I think I'd recommend driving for Harrisburg both ways and then perhaps consider a trip to NYC or Philadelphia if you'd like the train travel experience.

PA
Destination Expert
for Hershey, Harrisburg
Level Contributor
2,865 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Greyhound bus

My cousin frequently takes the train from Harrisburg to Washington, DC with a short layover in Philadelphia. Depending which train you take, the total travel time is around 4 hours. Yes, you can drive from Harrisburg to DC in less time; however, if you are not familiar with the interstate roads and want to avoid all the traffic hassles, the train is a good deal.

Megabus is an inexpensive way to travel by bus; unfortunately, there isn't a direct Harrisburg to DC route.

Edited: 2:03 pm, July 31, 2013
North East England...
Level Contributor
310 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Greyhound bus

We are doing a package tour holiday of "Historic America" landing in NY then coached to Philadelphia -Lancaster-Charlottesville-Williamsburg etc and the tour ends in Washington DC. We are going to Harrisburg to visit my niece for who works in Hershey for two days then back to Washington for four days on our own. I don't drive and my husband doesn't want to hire a car. We, or rather I, have always wanted to travel on a Greyhound bus I think it dates back to the romantic era of travel when I was a teenager in the 1960s haha. it just seemed quicker and more direct than the train service which I knew was via Philadelphia but we have no time to visit there. so to suit me it was there by bus back by train. Many thanks for your thoughts it helps make our trip feel close and real.

Elizabethtown...
Level Contributor
986 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Greyhound bus

In that case, the Greyhound bus seems like a good way to go. I just didn't want you to have unrealistic image of bus travel in the U.S. Sounds like a lovely trip! Feel free to come back and let us know how it all worked out. People from overseas are often looking for good ways to get from D.C. to Gettysburg, Hershey, or Lancaster without having to rent a car. It is unfortunate that more public transportation isn't available, but these rural areas don't have the kind of population to support it.

North East England...
Level Contributor
310 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Greyhound bus

Hello..well we've finished our holiday in the USA and I'm sat at Dulles airport waiting for my flight home. We had a wonderful tour despite the Shutdown and torrential rain at Mount Vernon. We did travel up to Harrisburg(and back) byGreyhound bus absolutely no problems at all. The buses were clean, comfortable and free WiFi. It was just ordinary folk travelling and we had several conversations with other travellers who were curious about our Brit accents. For those travelling by bus from DC the bus depot is in Union Station which out cab driver didn't realise...satnav let him down. Many thanks to all those who responded to my queries.

PA
Destination Expert
for Hershey, Harrisburg
Level Contributor
2,865 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Greyhound bus

I am so glad to hear you had a good holiday in the USA and your experience taking the Greyhound bus was positive. TA is very helpful in planning trips!

10. Re: Greyhound bus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, October 21, 2014