We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I78 toll charges

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Topic
I78 toll charges

Hi, I arriving from the UK and am renting a car at Newark airport and then travelling down to Harrisburg. I have heard stories that the car rental companies are scaring customers into taking toll packages stating that the toll road are cashless and you must pay for an electronic transponder at a high rate.

My question is, Does anyone know if their are tolls to pay on this route and if so can I pay cash at the toll booths.

i will also be travelling around PA, are there any cahless toll road anywhere else in PA.

Many Thanks

staten island
Level Contributor
1,978 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I78 toll charges

The only toll on I 78 that I can think of is the $1 toll to enter Pennsylvania from New Jersey. No toll on the return. Take route 1 &9 north from Newark to get 78. Toll roads are not cashless, anyway. Google maps or mapques twill tell you in directions if there are tolls.

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,761 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I78 toll charges

I-78 is not a toll road(Although the bridge over the Delaware River is a toll bridge)

Regardless, there is always at least one cash lane. You do not need ezpass.

In Pa I-76 is a toll road (the Pennsylvania Turnpike) again there are always cash lanes.

Harrisburg, PA
Level Contributor
509 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I78 toll charges

I concur with the other posters ... all of the toll roads that PA has have cash lanes. Even the NJ toll roads have cash lanes. There are a few exits on some of the turnpikes that are exact change or transponder only (i.e. no attendant - but all are clearly marked before you exit) and sometimes the toll is slightly higher for cash customers than those using a transponder -- but not by much.

The big thing to pay attention to are the "Ezpass Only" lanes (typically a flashing yellow light instead of a green light). If you don't have a transponder and pull thru one of these lanes, you can't pay the toll with cash and you will receive a fine from the turnpike authority (it used to be $25 plus the maximum toll) which would get billed back to the rental agency and they would likely pass back on to you at a marked up rate. As long as you keep an eye open and make sure you use a cash lane ("green light"), you'll be just fine.

Edited: 10:06 pm, May 23, 2012
Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: I78 toll charges

Thanks for the info. I would hate to have been ripped off at the rental counter.

5. Re: I78 toll charges

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, June 21, 2013