We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Harrisburg to Lorton, virginia

Montreal, Canada
3 posts
Save Topic
Harrisburg to Lorton, virginia

Hi.

What would be the best weekend route Saturday, around 2PM, from Harrisburg to Lorton, Virginia (exit 163, I-95)

Would it be the 83, 695 and 95 or I-81 to Hagerstown (Md.), then the 70, 270, 495 and 95?

There's only about a 10 mile difference, the latter being the longer, but my main concern is which route might be the more problematic as far as traffic is concerned.

Appreciate the time and effort.

Central PA
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Harrisburg to Lorton, virginia

Easy drive down 15 south to 270 to 495 to 95.

If you are travelling 81 south, take the Camp Hill exit (left exit) to 581 beltway, follow signs and exit for Gettysburg 15 South. Routh 15 is a 4 lane highway, only stop would be around DIllsburg PA, there are several traffic lights, otherwise it is wide open.

Edited: 11:34 am, February 20, 2012
Montreal, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Harrisburg to Lorton, virginia

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Sounds like a good choice. I like the idea of the 15 to the 270.

It's been a number of years since I've been on the 495 - how bad do you think the traffic would be on a Saturday afternoon... I would assume less than a 'regular' work day.

Appreciate it.

Central PA
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Harrisburg to Lorton, virginia

Correct, less than a work day, but anything is possible! When we need to use 95 south of DC, we take some back roads and come out south of Lorton. Saturday afternoon shouldn't be an issue.

Montreal, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Harrisburg to Lorton, virginia

Thanks very much for your time and knowledge.

Central PA
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Harrisburg to Lorton, virginia

No problem, safe travels!

USA
Level Contributor
67 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Harrisburg to Lorton, virginia

Hi, James!

Agree with Mike917. Trip down 15 is easy and traffic on Saturday afternoon shouldn't be bad. Like Mike said, you never know when you get down around DC... Someone does something crazy and a snarl occurs.

Travel well!

7. Re: Harrisburg to Lorton, virginia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:26 am, May 28, 2013