We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

weather concerns

Folsom, California
2 posts
Save Topic
weather concerns

Hi..anyone...please tell me what are winter's like there? My daughter wants to transfer from CA and by noting Grove City College's geographical location...it seems darned cold. Is it a nightmare getting flights out for the holiday's? Also, what do the college kids do for entertainment and part-time employment? Are there decent restaurants?

College Station...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: weather concerns

I live about 7 miles or so from Grove City and I can tell you the winters lately have been alot milder than past years. I dont believe we had a snow accumulation over 5-6 inches all winter long although we did experience some stretches of single digit temperatures for periods of time. Its funny though sometimes you'll catch a stretch of 40-50 degrees also!

Employment wise, right at the intersection of I-79 and Rt 208 is the Prime Outlet Retail Mall, one of the largest on the East Coast. Tons of retail shops there that employ full and part time labor. Here is the link: www.primeoutlets.com/cntrdefault.asp…

For entertainment its a 45-50 minute ride down I-79 to Pittsburgh where you will find all the activities (pro sports, concerts, etc) associated with a larger city.

I advise trying several of the local restaurants about 5 miles or so from the outlets on Rt 19 going toward Mercer. They are owned by the same group (The Springfield Group) and are all located a few miles from each other (Rachels Roadhouse, Iron Bridge Inn & The Springfield Grille) Here is the link: http://www.springfields.com/

Flights out from Pittsburgh or Cleveland Ohio shouldnt be any problem.

Hope this helps!

Folsom, California
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: weather concerns

Thank you Stonebase! You've been extremely helpful. I appreciate all the good info. :-) ~CA Conservative

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: weather concerns

CA-Conservative-

Not sure if you still need more info, but I just found this post and thought I could help. I graduated from Grove City College in May of 2005.

My freshman year (2000-2001), we had just horrible weather. It snowed almost everyday from November to March. After that, the winters were more mild. However, Grove City does get some lake effect weather from Lake Erie, so there is a lot of rain. In fact, I've been told Mercer County has more cloudy days than Seattle.

As far as getting home, I can only remember one time in my four years that people had trouble traveling, and that was for a four-day weekend.

Most college students who work do so on campus. There are a lot of easy part time jobs for students working in the resident halls, library, bookstore, student union, gym, cafeteria, etc. Like the previous poster mentioned, some students get jobs at the outlet mall.

The college is pretty good about providing lots of things to do on campus. There are always theater performances, dances, concerts, and the like on weekends. Off campus, students shop at the outlet malls, see movies at the downtown movie theatre (the Guthrie), or make weekend excursions to Pittsburgh, Cleveland, or Erie. A good majority of the students are also involved with volunteer organizations.

As a current DC resident, my standard for food is fairly high. However, there are a few good places to eat nearby, such as Rachel's Roadhouse, Iron Bridge Inn, and Springfield Grill. They served basic, delicious food at a very reasonable price. (All are owned by the Springfield Restaurant Group. See http://www.springfields.com.) Pittsburgh has some delicious ethnic restaurants and is within an hour drive.

I highly recommend visiting Grove City first. I had several Californian and southern friends who became very depressed from the weather change. It's a great school and I had a good experience there, but make sure your daughter sees the school and surrounding area first.

Please let me know if I can help you further.

4. Re: weather concerns

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:20 am, August 18, 2009