We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving 1-79 from Toronto to Myrtle Beach

Which Erie hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Guelph, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Driving 1-79 from Toronto to Myrtle Beach

We are driving to Myrtle Beach at the end of May with our three year old and six month old. We are planning to leave Friday and arrive Sunday - hoping to drive about 5 hours each day. Looking for suggestions of a safe, clean place to stay about 1/2 way between Erie and Pittsburgh for the first night. Thanks.

Canton, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Garden City Beach, Surfside Beach
Level Contributor
3,338 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving 1-79 from Toronto to Myrtle Beach

I personally like the Holiday Inn / HI Express Chain. ihg.com/priorityclub/hotels/us/en/reservation

It has been several years, but I stayed at the HIE in Meadville which is half way between Erie and Pittsburgh on I-79. As I recall it was nice, clean, and safe area. (HIE's have free breakfast too.) ihg.com/priorityclub/…hoteldetail

It appears this is only three and a half hours from Toronto. If you would like to drive 5 hours each day, perhaps shoot for south of Pittsburgh?

Here is a Candlewood Suites in Washington, PA which is ~ 5 hours 13 minutes from Toronto. ihg.com/priorityclub/…hoteldetail I have not stayed here, but is is part of the same Holiday Inn hotel group.

From Washington, PA, it is another 5 hours 18 minutes to this HIE in Mt. Airy, NC: ihg.com/priorityclub/…hoteldetail I stayed here last summer and although we had an issue with housekeeping, the hotel was nice and safe.

It's another 4 hours 22 minutes to Myrtle Beach from Mt Airy. (Or add a few hours if you are in heavy traffic.)

Are you looking for activities to do each day along the way?

In Erie, http://www.waldameer.com/ is a clean and fun family amusement park.

And near Mount Airy are two beautiful state parks: Pilot Mountain and Hanging Rock. www.ncparks.gov/Visit/parks/pimo/main.php www.ncparks.gov/Visit/parks/haro/main.php

edit:

Here is a google map link for the hotel stops: http://goo.gl/maps/AxVFq

Edited: 10:36 pm, April 07, 2013
Erie, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Erie
Level Contributor
201 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving 1-79 from Toronto to Myrtle Beach

Another option - there is a nice Holiday Inn Express on I-79 right next to the Grove City outlet mall. It is an hour south of Erie. The "mall" is huge, not an indoor mall though, all outdoors. I know the Canadians love to shop in Pennsylvania!

3. Re: Driving 1-79 from Toronto to Myrtle Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, April 10, 2014