We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Presque Isle Cottage Rentals / Beach Closures

Save Topic
Presque Isle Cottage Rentals / Beach Closures

My family and I would like to know if anyone has stayed in the cottage rentals around Presque Isle (Kelso Beach Rentals, Presque Isle Cottage Court, Sam Dickson Cottage Rentals, or Swanson's Resort Cottages) in Erie PA. We are looking at possibly staying at one of these establishments this summer and would like any feedback. I have also read in another forum that there are many beach closures during the summer due to high bacteria counts. I would like to hear more on this problem.

Many thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Presque Isle
Presque Isle
Pennsylvania
cdm
Erie PA
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Presque Isle Cottage Rentals / Beach Closures

The beaches are checked daily for bacteria. Under certain weather, current conditions occasionaly the count will go high. Usually it's beach 1, the beach on the Lake side closest to the shore. Sometime's the beach that is located on the Bay side goes high. I can't recall it's number, maybe 11? Very rarely do more than 1 beach get shut down. So that leaves you about 10 others to choose from. There is a sign at the entrance of the park that tells you which beaches are open and have life guards. Sorry, can't help you with any of the cottages.

Massachusetts, MA
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Presque Isle Cottage Rentals / Beach Closures

I too am in the market for a cottage in Erie. I have spoken with Mr. Swanson, and they sound good.......but I plan to send local friends to check them out. I live in MAssachusetts, but have lived in Erie. Let me know if I can help with any other questions.

I will let you know what I find regarding the cottages.

Mentioned in this post
Massachusetts
Massachusetts
United States
buffalo
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Presque Isle Cottage Rentals / Beach Closures

I was looking in the area becuase the beaches really are beautiful and a great place for children to play safely with out traveling 700 miles to the ocean beaches. Anyways i was wanting to stay in a cottage and luckily drove through the area to check then out prior to booking our summer vacation. There were no cottages that I would have stayed. The cottages all looked depressed and tatered. I would recommend staying a a nice hotel called the Bel-Air It is a few blocks outside of the park (nice location). Good Luck! It is a beutiful area with many fun things to do. I cant believe they do not offer any better accomadations.

erie. pa
Level Contributor
37 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Presque Isle Cottage Rentals / Beach Closures

Stay away from Kelso beach area, I work in the criminal justice biz in the Erie area, and a lot of petty crime comes out of there! Just petty, but enough, that I would not stay there. There are also cottages in North East , PA a small town to the east of Erie, called Dohlar cottages, they are rustic but right on the beach. Go to google and look them up!

Mentioned in this post
North East
North East
Pennsylvania
Erie, PA
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Presque Isle Cottage Rentals / Beach Closures

I moved to Erie two years ago and my family comes up to visit me each summer. The first year they stayed at the Presque Isle Cottages. Really small and well past their prime. It was not very comfortable. I've also looked at Kelso, basically a shanty town, Swanson, which are very basic and a bit tattered and are surrounded by people's regular houses.

Last year we found The Pines, out in Ripley, NY (www.thepineslakeerie.com) very nice cottages and a small motel. The owner was great and the place was really nice, and cheap. It is about a 30-40 min. drive to Presque Isle, but it is a very easy drive and takes you right through the winery section of NorthEast. We really enjoyed it. I would also recommend Lake View on the Lake, about 15-20 minutes from the beaches. Great views, very nice accomodations (but nothing larger then 2 bedrooms).

Either way Erie is great, lots to do and really great for kids.

Mentioned in this post
Presque Isle
Presque Isle
Pennsylvania
Erie PA
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Presque Isle Cottage Rentals / Beach Closures

I think if you all take a look at some of the places down on Kelso Beach you will be amazed. There is much renovation going on down on the beach (not on top of the hill Kelso Drive) You would be on Lake Front Drive. There are also a few rentals on the next beach Baer Beach. I live in this area so if anyone has questions feel free to ask. Happy Vacationing!

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Presque Isle Cottage Rentals / Beach Closures

East of Erie, I also tried the Pines in Ripley, NY, pleasantly surprised when only looking for cheap lodging to cut up a long drive. Reasonable ($60?), little clean room w a dorm sized frig (no water view from room), a cereal breakfast included, walk down hill to their little private beach.. I like to swim... winery across the street, a small town within a few miles. They had cottages, too, but I didn't see inside.

West of Erie, Conneaut Ohio is a tiny town with cottages on the water. I saw a friends on a little cul de sac with only about 3 cottages sharing a beach area that was nice for kids. I think their chamber of commerce site has links to find the owners.

West of Erie, Virginia's Beach Campground, has their own tiny beach. We only tent camped there but they built some camping cottages.

Pgh.
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Presque Isle Cottage Rentals / Beach Closures

Where do I find rates/descriptions for cottages right on Baer/Kelso Beach?

Erie PA
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Presque Isle Cottage Rentals / Beach Closures

There isn't a main site for the Kelso/Baer Beach cottages. You pretty much have to know who rents their cottages out. The President of the Association on Kelso is Mr. Proud 814-838-6960. He may be able to give you a list of rentals.

Pgh.
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Presque Isle Cottage Rentals / Beach Closures

Do you know when cottages open up for the season, and do they do any weekend rentals?