We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NYC to Doylestown, PA

Which Doylestown hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Honolulu, Hawaii
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
NYC to Doylestown, PA

What is the best and/or cheapest way to get from JFK to Doylestown, PA and back? Also, should I get a rental car while in Doylestown and Philly? Was planning on staying in Doylestown for a few days. On the way back I was planning on staying in Philly for another few days before going back to NYC. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

11 replies to this topic
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
75 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NYC to Doylestown, PA

Doylestown can be reached from Philadelphia using SEPTA regional rail (septa.org) - however JFK in general is more difficult to access from Philadelphia and the suburbs, due primarily to its somewhat poor linking into Penn Station New York - if you are looking to go directly from JFK to Doylestown, I would suggest a driver if you can afford it - otherwise you are looking at the following:

1) JFK to Penn Station NY - please search for this separately as there are several options - I opted for a taxi when I did it because I has just come off a long flight - make SURE you know the latest pre-set fare and amount to expect with tolls/tip ($60 TOTAL as of last summer) as my driver tried to swindle me!

2) Penn Station NY to 30th Street Philadelphia - I'm a fan of trains so please search the many NYC to Philly posts for other choices but Amtrak's lowest fare is $45 one way (only Keystone line and only if booked in advance) and is the fastest - NJ Transit/SEPTA is more reasonable but involves a connection in Trenton and takes longer...

3) SEPTA regional rail from 30th street to Doylestown

By the time you add the fares and time, you may have wanted to have a driver! It would also be shorter due to the fact that Doylestown is north of Philly so you basically overshoot using the public transit option...

As for a car rental in Philadelphia, it just depends on what your interests are: if you are a history person who wants to drive around to various battlefields versus a museum or culture person who would find plenty to see/do within the city for three days!

Enjoy:-)

Honolulu, Hawaii
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: NYC to Doylestown, PA

Thank you for your response. Getting a driver sounds like the best option. I will do more research. As far as car rental, should I get one when I'm in Doylestown? Is it driver friendly there ( not too much traffic, lots of parking, no road rage)? I hate driving around unfamiliar places if I don't have too. How is the public transit there?

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
8,603 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NYC to Doylestown, PA

Doylestown is a small town. Parking is very difficult. What do you plan on doing while there? There is no public transit to get around Doylestown, but you can walk just about everywhere, if you plan on staying in the town itself. It is easy to get to downtown Philadelphia, as you would just take the regional rail line directly in.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
75 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NYC to Doylestown, PA

I agree: unless you need to travel outside the town center, you can easily access Philadelphia by SEPTA and driving in the Philadelphia suburbs is not for the timid....I assume you have a specific reason to visit Doylestown?

Honolulu, Hawaii
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: NYC to Doylestown, PA

I'm going to a wedding in Doylestown. I wanted to explore the area while I was there. I noticed there was a brewery and an indoor rock climbing gym, and also wanted to check out the museums too. Are there taxis?

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
8,603 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: NYC to Doylestown, PA

I've never seen any taxis in Doylestown, though Google indicates there may be some. I think you will indeed need a car, as there are no hotels in downtown Doylestown.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,055 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: NYC to Doylestown, PA

Any reason not to consider renting the car at JFK? or consider flying into Philly?

Doylestown...
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: NYC to Doylestown, PA

The little downtown area of Doylestown is very walkable, so no need for a car, but you would need one if you wanted to check out anything else in the area as there is no public transit to speak of and no taxis. Driving in the Bucks County area is easy: you may want to check out the areas around New Hope and Washington Crossing while you're here. I agree with neslaw: rent a car from JFK to drive to and around Doylestown, then return the car in Philly as you definitely would not need or want a car there.

Doylestown...
Level Contributor
4 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: NYC to Doylestown, PA

I want to add that there is also a bus line from JFK to Doylestown. http://www.transbridgelines.com/ The timing may not work for you but it is another option.

To be honest, the best way to enjoy Bucks County is by car for there are many neat sites to see and do around town. Parking is very easy for we have a huge new free garage built in the center of town. Sightseeing during the day and enjoying the suprising number of great restaurants and bars in town (Penn Tap Room our favorite for good rotating taps). (Although I am not sure what brewery you are referring to - I do not think Doylestown Brewery has a place to actually visit. - so again if you are planning to visit the ones in Lambertville, New Hope, Lansdale, and/or Easton - a car is necessary)

1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: NYC to Doylestown, PA

I'm also flying to New York and travel by bus to Doylestown PA, but I am confused ...and don't know how to start my 4 days journey. I need some info by bus where to buy ticket?

Reply to: NYC to Doylestown, PA
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted