We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camping near Ricketts glen for young family with dog

New Hope...
3 posts
Save Topic
Camping near Ricketts glen for young family with dog

Where is a good place for three young kids (all under 5) anD a dog to camp? We love to hike and this will be our first family hiking trip (we used to before kids). We love the outdoors, privacy, maybe the possibility Ottis ing,but most importantly safety, closeness to the falls and cleanliness. Looking to go Memorial weekend.

2 replies to this topic
Poconos
Level Contributor
199 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Camping near Ricketts glen for young family with dog

Have you checked out the park website? There's a nice campground on the lake and a separate cabin area. I don't know about a dog, though.

FYI, the main waterfall trails at RG are not really suitable for kids under five -- maybe one kid under five, if both parents are hyper-vigilant --- but certainly not three kids under five. Well.... unless one is a baby/toddler in a hiking backpack and the other two are held onto by two adults with iron grips. It's very steep, rocky, no railings, dangerous dropoffs.

My kids are 7 and 10 and I still watch them like hawks on the trail.

There are other trails in the park, but the beauty of the park is the waterfalls and I would really recommend doing only small sections of the trails at the bottom of the ravine where the incline levels off.

…state.pa.us/stateparks/…index.htm

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camping near Ricketts glen for young family with dog

Agree absolutely with Krenster. I would add that parts of the trail will be wet and slippery.

Reply to: Camping near Ricketts glen for young family with dog
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted