We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our First Trip to Benezette!!!

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
40,589 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Our First Trip to Benezette!!!

Thanks to all the wonderful information from Benny, we are making the trip up from Florida to meet Benny and all those elk and expect to be in town 9/29 and /or 30.

My John grew up in NJ and as a teen used to hunt in PA ,and so when I mentioned that Benny had said something about elk on the Las Vegas Forum some time ago, he told me that Benny had to be pulling my my leg- deer he believed, elk, not so much.... Since that time ,I have shown him all those photos, and I think he can relate to the whole" gotta get a woman" thing and he wants to come up and see the fellas go at it!

So, any and all advice is welcome to help us plan our elk viewing safari. We can hardly wait!

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
40,589 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Our First Trip to Benezette!!!

I just realized I added the "e" to the end.. so which is more politically correct- Benezett or Benezette???

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
40,589 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Our First Trip to Benezette!!!

And a photogenic elk named Fred!! It just keeps getting better!!! Since I spend so much time in Vegas , I guess I should ask if we have to tip Fred if he poses for us...?

Mentioned in this post
Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
40,589 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Our First Trip to Benezette!!!

We'll be making our trip up from the Gettysburg area and are staying overnight in Lock Haven- but wondered if we are likely to pass any apple stands/cider mills along our way- we sure miss that in the fall being in Florida ( though Key Lime pie and Stone Crabs are mighty nice too...)

Edited: 11:31 am, September 17, 2010
Mentioned in this post
Gettysburg
Gettysburg
Pennsylvania
Florida
Florida
United States
Benezette...
Level Contributor
5,267 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Our First Trip to Benezette!!!

Lulu, don't ask me how I missed this thread. I am so happy to see all systems are still go for your visit.

I just came from the VIsitor Center and it is incredible. Your timing is wonderful. I have arranged for the leaves, weather, and elk to all perform on cue. hehehehe

1. Is John going to eat an Elk Burger at the restaurant while we are there?

2. Are you sure you want to stay in Lock Haven? That is pretty far away if you are going to see those bulls on the hunt for women at 7AM.

3. I will be asking off for Sept 29 and /or 30 if you want a full time guide or if you prefer you can explore on your own, but you must eat at least one meal at the Restaurant.

4. Have you decided if you want to go up and see the eagles at Stevenson Dam or just check out the Quehanna Wilderness Area ?

So much to see so little time. LOL

Benny

Normalville...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Our First Trip to Benezette!!!

Hi I really dont Know if this is the place for this but my family and I are coming to Benezette on September 24 25 26 we are trying to find information on things to do and an inexpensive place to stay any help will be greatly appreciated. S.S.

Benezette...
Level Contributor
5,267 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Our First Trip to Benezette!!!

Sstriner,

this is a fine place to ask any questions. You will happy to know that the leaves have really picked up some color in the last few days.

As i mentioned on the previous posts. Both Stevenson and Austin Dams offer great fall photo ops. THe QUehenna Wildernesness area never disappoints in the fall. Lots of elk are being seen every day.

You have picked one of the busiest weekends of the year for this area and most places will be fully booked. You might try Clearfield, PA.

Feel free to ask more questions.

Benny

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
40,589 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Our First Trip to Benezette!!!

Benny- John ( and I ) definitely want those elk burgers( it will be a first for us) ! Looks like iour day will definitely be 9/29- I'm getting nervous loking at those rain reports.. what do you think?

Hmm. you are right we are not going to get to you very early from Lock Haven- what about if we stay till dusk- will the boys be active then as well?

I can hardly wait! We'll try to do anything and everything you suggest! See you soon!

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
40,589 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Our First Trip to Benezette!!!

Just checked with John and he says if he has to roust me out at 5 am to get us to Benezette early for Fred and the boys, that;'s what we'll do- what time are you open for breakfast???

Benezette...
Level Contributor
5,267 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Our First Trip to Benezette!!!

Lulu, I will ask for Sept 29 off. The restaurant opens at 6AM, but grab something fast on your end. I will meet you in Sinnamahoning, PA on RT 120. It is due west of Lock Haven (also on RT 120).

1.From there we will venture up to STevenson Dam (only 9 miles off 120)

2.Maybe up to AUstin Dam, then back to Sinnamohoning and

3. into the QUehanna WIlderness (never a disappointment with several photo ops....Beaver Run and Ardle Pond being the highlights.

4. Drop into Benezette Township where the majority of the mature bulls live.

5. Do lunch at the Restaurant

6. Explore the Benezett Area including the Magnificent Elk Visitor Center ( us loclas are so happy that the elk have a place to visit. hehehe)

That will do for a starter AND if the weather is good we can go topless (in the Jeep. LOL)

If the weather is light rain, you will still get wonderful fall photos. If there are terrential downpours, we will have to go North and play slots. (just kidding)

Benny

Mentioned in this post
Sinnamahoning
Sinnamahoning
Pennsylvania
Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
40,589 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Our First Trip to Benezette!!!

I'm printing this off for John to look at when he gets back! More later!

L.

Get answers to your questions about Benezette