We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anniversay Trip

8 posts
Save Topic
Anniversay Trip

Special thanks to mtngrl and phril and others for great posts. I've been reading for weeks. I'm planning my wedding anniversary trip August 25-Sept 5 through the whole coast. I have 2 night left to plan and need help.

Starting in Porland, doing the gorge and Mt Hood, then over to Astoria ( overnight), then down to ( Depoe Bay). Need recommendations on where to stay. 2 nights left ( Tues, Weds)

Do I stay in Yachats or further down.. Going all the way to Cresent City for Thursday night stay. Bandon on Friday ( my hubby's dream golf day), Sat on Rouge River, Sunday back in Portland.

You guys are the best so please send ideas! We love variety and are open to great Oregon spots, unique, unusual or just down right good and cool to stay. (PS...my husband's first B and B experiences)

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Astoria
Astoria
Oregon Coast, OR
Depoe Bay
Depoe Bay
Oregon Coast, OR
Bandon
Bandon
Oregon Coast, OR
Oregon
Oregon
United States
Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anniversay Trip

Is that what you really mean? You will be driving Bandon to Gold each 4 times and Crescent City too Gold beach 2 times. Gold beach to portland in a day is long one.

Think I would do Bandon, then Rogue and maybe Crescent City then inland to I-5. though not sure you need crescnet City .. the way you have it planned not really time to see redwoods

Mentioned in this post
Bandon
Bandon
Oregon Coast, OR
Crescent City
Crescent City
California
Gold Beach
Gold Beach
Oregon Coast, OR
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Anniversay Trip

We are commited to golf in Bandon Dunes on Saturday am so that is why we have to drive so much. I see your point but not sure what else I could change.

Considering going from Depoe Bay to Port Orford in 1 day. Doable if we want to stop? If not, where would you stop and stay.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Bandon
Bandon
Oregon Coast, OR
Depoe Bay
Depoe Bay
Oregon Coast, OR
Level Contributor
37,754 posts
959 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anniversay Trip

Where are you staying in Astoria? The Cannery Pier Hotel & the Hotel Elliott are both excellen choices for Astoria. We have had a home there for many, many years, it's a great place! Don't miss the Maritime Museum, the Flavel House, the Astor Coumn and a ride on the riverfront trolley!

Silver Salmon Grill, Ship Inn, Cannery Cafe are a few of our favorites in Astoria for great meals. If you go to the Astoria Restaurant Review sectionon this forum, I have reviews with photos of the majoirty of the places in Astoria. Hope this helps with the Astoria part and happy travels! :)

Mentioned in this post
Astoria
Astoria
Oregon Coast, OR
Cannery Pier Hotel
Cannery Pier Hotel
1,287 Reviews
Astoria, OR
Hotel Elliott
Hotel Elliott
421 Reviews
Astoria, OR
Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,460 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anniversay Trip

Thank you for the kind words:) I have not spent much time on the central or southern part of our coast for a few years, so I defer to Den, Phil and mistletoe who know it quite well. They all live here in Oregon and give very good advice.

Unless you have your heart set on Astoria, I would change your overnight stay to Cannon Beach. Plus, if you are coming from Mt. Hood, it is a straight shot out HWY 26, so that makes it easy. Cannon Beach is a beautiful town, with Haystack Rock and Ecola State Park. Lots of little galleries, shops to wander through as well.

One thing that might make a difference in your plans are the hotels. Many places have minimum stays, so if you have not started to book hotels, you might want to call and see what you find. That might mean that you have to juggle all of this a tad.

Mentioned in this post
Oregon
Oregon
United States
Astoria
Astoria
Oregon Coast, OR
Cannon Beach
Cannon Beach
Oregon Coast, OR
Haystack Rock
Haystack Rock
2,586 Reviews
Cannon Beach, OR
Ecola State Park
Ecola State Park
1,544 Reviews
Cannon Beach, OR
Eatonton, Georgia
Level Contributor
179 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anniversay Trip

My husband and I spent a few days in Oregon 6 years ago and had a wonderful time! We left Portland after several days of business and drove to Crater Lake Lodge. All I can say is WOW!!! Looking across that lake at night with a full moon and not another light or building in sight was like being on another planet. We then drove down through Northern California and found a small statepark with a one lane gravel road winding through a forest of giant redwoods. Spent the next night in a forgettable motor lodge on the beach, but our 3rd night was spent at the Keeper's cottage at the Heceta Head lighthouse in Yachats. Triple WOWS!!!! It was probably one of the best places I have ever stayed. The sea lions barking, waves crashing, and standing under a misting rain with our backs against the lighthouse the rays of light above swirling like a giant unbrella's ribs. Words cannot describe it. The next morning the hosts had a 5 course breakfast, then took us up into the lighthouse to view the prisms of the lens. The fourth night we spent at the Timberline Lodge on Mt. Hood, another wonderful place with loads of character. We left there, drove back to Portland along the Columbia River Gorge, stopping at all the waterfalls, then caught a plane back to Georgia. It was a wonderful trip, my only regret was not staying several more nights and slowing down the pace of the trip. But the memories of those days and nights will last a lifetime. I hope your trip will be as as wonderful as ours. Any of these places I mentioned above were wonderful places to spend the night.

Mentioned in this post
Oregon
Oregon
United States
Crater Lake Lodge
Crater Lake Lodge
967 Reviews
Crater Lake National Park, OR
California
California
United States
Heceta Head Lighthouse
Heceta Head Lighthouse
983 Reviews
Florence, OR
Timberline Lodge
Timberline Lodge
1,121 Reviews
Timberline Lodge, OR
Columbia River Gorge
Columbia River Gorge
971 Reviews
Hood River, OR
6. Re: Anniversay Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:52 pm, May 18, 2008
7. Re: Anniversay Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 pm, September 28, 2009