We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Unit with no A/C in August

Socal
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Unit with no A/C in August

I know this has come up in older posts. We are looking at the Pines but notice these units have no A/C. Probably going in early August. I know it cools down at night but wondering how much of an issue this will be. I believe the master BD are all upstairs in the units so the heat would gather up there.

A bit of assist is appreciated!

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,047 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Unit with no A/C in August

Would you rent a unit on Maui w/o AC? Because if you are in the minority like me and would, then Sunriver will be a breeze! It will likely be warmer than Maui, but due the the altitude, not only does it cool at night, the humidity will be quite low.

My baby sister lives between Bend and Sunriver and I have been there in August without AC. Not a huge problem for me.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,069 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Unit with no A/C in August

We go to Sunriver several times a year, and have for many years. We almost always get places without a/c, even two story homes. You really don't need it, and I am a warm weather wimp;) As dengay says, it cools off significantly by early evening. We do keep windows/blinds closed up during the day if windows get the full sun just to keep the heat out when we are away. I personally would not factor a/c in at all when deciding on a place there.

Socal
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Unit with no A/C in August

On Maui? Well.......actually I don't think I've ever stayed in a unit over the summer without A/C. Although we pretty much turned it down to nothing at night.

Turns out in our case that we could get the time share for essentially nothing compared to having to spend $$, just to get that cooling. So there is a reasonably good incentive to stick with the Pines. From what I gather, there are ceiling fans and I like the suggestion to keep the blinds closed during the day. It's what we do at home as well to minimize the buildup.

Hmm.....toss up on this one, I guess.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Unit with no A/C in August

We stayed in Sun River in a house in Aug. Do not remember using AC. It was family gathering and we may have used it when our Redhead s-i-l was there. My wife and I sure did not need it. Then we do not require AC when we go to Kauai.

We stayed at Pines in April. I was trying to remember if that is where we stayed so checked their website. It said units have AC, so maybe you should check again. In April we needed heat. Nice units, would stay there again, and may with time share.

Edited: 1:15 pm, November 07, 2011
Socal
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Unit with no A/C in August

The website shows fans but no A/C. Several of the TA reviews specifically mentioned the units being very warm or hot so this came on my radar.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,949 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Unit with no A/C in August

>>Several of the TA reviews specifically mentioned the units being very warm or hot so this came on my radar.<<

Check to see where those folks live - they may be used to a cooler climate. Depending upon where you are from around Socal, you will/may find it cooler than home in August. Figure about the same as your average late Sept/Oct weather, with Sun River probably being cooler at night.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Unit with no A/C in August

hotelsone.com/sunriver-hotels-us/…

This says 68 units with AC

Edited: 4:24 pm, November 07, 2011
Socal
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Unit with no A/C in August

I spoke with The Pines directly today. They do not have any A/C rooms. He told me that the buildings were constructed in the 70's and at the time, it wasn't a big deal, I guess.

I also heard that not all rooms have ceiling fans, especially the lower level as they don't have the tall space for that. The upper units will. There are some portable fans however.

I'm honestly on the fence and can probably go either way with this. I have heard very nice things about the property and can't beat the price of using our time share week. But will have to see what the availability is and then have some conversation with my family on what their needs are.

Edited: 6:15 pm, November 08, 2011
Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,069 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Unit with no A/C in August

nesdog--Very few places in Sunriver have a/c. It truly is not a big deal, even in August.

Socal
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Unit with no A/C in August

Yeah, no worries, Mtngrl. We'll work it out one way or another. However we do it, I'm sure we're going to enjoy our first trip to SR!

Thanks for the help.

Edited: 10:51 pm, November 08, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Sunriver