We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Location to stay in sunriver

Which Sunriver hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Location to stay in sunriver

Debating whether to stay in a house north of sunriver, near the golf course or near Fort Park where the playground and tennis courts are. Have a young daughter who love Fort Park, however my wife likes the newer house near the golf course. We don't golf, but will likely try to go swimming, biking and play tennis..

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Location to stay in sunriver

Funny been 20 plus years since we went to Sun River, but this past year stayed there twice. Both places were south of the Village. So now I have a Sun River file with maps.

We used to stay at a place near Fort Park. Hard to go wrong in Sun River.

Hillsboro, Oregon
Level Contributor
166 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Location to stay in sunriver

Sunriver is not that huge, and it's easy to get around by car, bike, or walking. I'd say pick the house that looks more suited to your family, and don't worry about location.

Since you want to swim, if one house offers pool passes with the deal, but the other doesn't, that would be another way to decide.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Location to stay in sunriver

Plus make sure they have some bikes.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Location to stay in sunriver

Thanks for your tip. I think both places have adult bikes and have swimming pool passes. Will have to rent or bring a kid's bike. I've heard to beware of the railroad tracks?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Location to stay in sunriver

After I looked at the map, I realized it wasn't that big after all. I will consider your comment in making the decision about which house. Are there any good grocery stores in SR, or is it recommended to go to Bend?

Hillsboro, Oregon
Level Contributor
166 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Location to stay in sunriver

There are two grocery stores in Sunriver. One is at the north end, and a larger store is in the Village Mall at the south end. For even larger selection and better prices, you could drive to Bend and go to Albertsons, Fred Meyer, or other supermarkets.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Location to stay in sunriver

I do not remember railroad tracks in Sun River.

Two times we went this year wife wanted to stop at Freddies south end of Bend, but grocery store in Village is large grocery with all you would need. Sure not worth drive back into Bend just to supermarket

we brought most of things in cooler from Portland.

we have only stayed at a few places in SR but most have kid bikes. Suggest you check that out before you carry 3 bikes you may not need.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,800 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Location to stay in sunriver

We go to Sunriver several times a year. I would not stay near the RR tracks personally. Fort Rock is a lot of fun with kids. Our preference is to stay on the north end as the houses tend to be on larger lots, so more room for the kids to play. More of those homes have basketball hoops and even grassy areas. There are tennis courts spread all over Sunriver, so any home will be close to some.

We usually shop at Fred Meyer in Bend for the bulk of our groceries. Then hit the main Country Store in Sunriver on the south end. The north store is good for covering the things you forgot. BTW, there is a gas station at the north store as well.

Two more benefits of staying in the north end. One is the easy access to hwy 97 via the Cottonwood exit. Much easier than coming through the main entrance to Sunriver. The second is that we see more wildlife. More deer in the yards, etc. Walking the paths early in the morning or at dusk you will come within a foot of deer, squirrels, etc. Also, the paths are not as busy, so I enjoy the solitude.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Location to stay in sunriver

mtngrl, been wondering when you would come in. You really know SR.

You give some good reasons to stay on north end.

I do not remember RR tracks.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,800 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Location to stay in sunriver

phirl--thanks:)