We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seaside in July at Lanai at the Cove

Which Seaside hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Seaside in July at Lanai at the Cove

Hi, we are a family of four (2 adults, 2 kids ages 2 & 4) thinking of staying at the Lanai at the Cove in July for 3 nights. We would be interested in seeing the aquarium and the other touristy stuff in town. (We also plan on going to Ecola Park and Cannon Beach) How easy will it be to drive into town and find parking? We will be there a Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday at the end of July. (I've also looked into staying at the Holiday Inn Express but I'm worried about the walk to the beach with my little ones.)Thanks in advance for your help!

Lisa

Level Contributor
34,732 posts
895 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seaside in July at Lanai at the Cove

Hi, Lanai at the Cove is a very small hotel located in a beautiful area. You will have to drive to the prom from this property. It is just a few minutes away from Lanai at the Cove. There is also the Tides by the Sea in this area where you can get directly on the prom which will take you to the Turnaround and the main beach in Seaside. There is a nice outdoor pool at the Tides (Lanai has a small one, too) and our room had a small kitchen, fireplace and was two bedrooms which was nice. You would have much more room at The Tides than at the Lanai at the Cove.

The Holiday Inn Express is a much larger complex and is not a dangerous walk at all with little ones to the beach. If you are looking for a larger complex, there is also the new Rivertide Suites which is very nice and modern with flat screen TV's, an indoor pool and small kitchens with granite countertops. www.seasideor.com is a nice website for this area.

Let me know if you would dining recs for the area, we have several favorites. Cannon Beach is just a short 10 minute drive from Seaside. I hope you have a great time! :)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Seaside in July at Lanai at the Cove

Phew.... for a while there, I thought syrahgirl might not respond.

Like syrahgirl, I've not stayed at Lanai at the Cove, nor have I really ever noticed it before. But I think it's got a great location; better than Tides by the Sea, considering you'd probably want to drive from either to get to "the touristy stuff in town". My two concerns with Lanai at the Cove would be:

1. The beach in front of it. It seems that most of the driftwood that washes into Seaside eventually ends up in the cove, and I believe the beach along there is also much rockier than the one in town. Maybe syrahgirl can confirm....

2. According to the website, each unit is individually owned, which I expect means that each unit is also furnished differently. It would be nice if you could get some photos of the inside of the unit you want to book, before committing to it.

I agree that it's not a "dangerous" walk to the beach from Holiday Inn Express, but it is a fairly long 3+ blocks, through a busy part of town. So, I don't know if you'd want to be packing the usual beach stuff, plus whatever paraphernalia kids the ages of yours need, back and forth from the hotel.

To your parking question.... yeah, it's not easy to find it streetside in Seaside. I believe there are a few pay-to-park lots, though.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,716 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seaside in July at Lanai at the Cove

We came through there on July 4th weekend a couple of years ago and may have gotten the last available parking place (which may or may not have even been a legal spot). We thought we'd try farther along the highway and were caught in unbelievable traffic. Reminded me of Coney Island (in its heyday).

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,853 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seaside in July at Lanai at the Cove

The question was:

>>How easy will it be to drive into town and find parking?<<

All I know about Seaside is that it is terrifically congested all summer long :-(

The Rivertide Suites that syrahgirl mentioned is *not* on the ocean. Also, I suspect the price is much higher than you are thinking of paying, since summer rates there start at about $200/night.

I've looked at the Lanai at the Cove, and they do show all their rooms on their website, mistletoe. However, this motel was built in the 1960's so the rooms might be a bit small?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Seaside in July at Lanai at the Cove

Ahh, thanks, half-Brit. I didn't look deep enough into the website. Now that I have, I noticed also that the beach there is more rocks than sand (or was when the photos were taken). Makes sand-castle building a little rough. :-(

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seaside in July at Lanai at the Cove

Thanks for all the insight! It's really nice having the advice.

I had looked at the Lanai photos but hadn't looked close enough. I think I was sidetracked by the gorgeous view :)

Well, I think I'll take the walk to the beach over the possibility of traffic and no parking. I am a bit worried about lugging all our stuff back and forth but we'll be prepared. Now I'll just have to carefully check over the tripadvisor reviews for Rivertides and Holiday Inn. Maybe I can even convince my hubby to do oceanfront for a bit more...

Thanks again for all the answers.

Lisa

Level Contributor
34,732 posts
895 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seaside in July at Lanai at the Cove

For oceanfront lodging on the prom, consider The Shilo Oceanfront (great indoor pool and jacuzzi here with views of the ocean, right at the Turnaround), Inn of the Four Winds (quiet area of the prom), Ebb-Tide, Hi-Tide and there is also a Best Western Oceanview hotel here with direct access to the beach. It really would be nice to have direct beach access and oceanviews during your stay, I would book asap for July, one of the busiest months of the year in Seaside. Any further questions feel free to ask! :)

8. Re: Seaside in July at Lanai at the Cove

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:21 am, October 23, 2009