We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for a 1 day trip?

Which Seaside hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Camas, Wa
Level Contributor
451 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions for a 1 day trip?

Hello,

My mom and lil' bro are visiting from FL (we live in Camas, WA) and we will be doing a day trip to Seaside this Wed. Any suggestions on must sees? It will be me, my mom, lil' bro (13 y/o), hubby, and our 2 boys aged 4 and 19 mos.

Any info is much appreciated!!

Level Contributor
34,991 posts
898 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for a 1 day trip?

Hi, I am in Seaside right now! What are your interests? There is a nice prom for walking and a gorgeous beach, we like the area around Ave U. There is an outlet for shopping, wine tasting at Yummy Wine Bar, a small aquarium. If you like to antique shop, there are some nice ones in the historic Gilbert District. Lots of good places to dine, also. www.seasideor.com

Nearby is Cannon Beach and about 20 minutes away is Astoria where you could visit museums, ride the trolley, walk the riverfront. www.oldoregon.com

I hope you have a great time on the coast, we're loving it here! :)

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,893 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for a 1 day trip?

The prom and beach sound good but somehow I don't see a young family with a toddler and 4 year old in the Yummy Wine Bar , tasting and toddling around antique shops :D

LOL

The Local Expert Rivergallery has 2 young boys and lives there, hopefully she will see this and post some appropriate ideas !

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,937 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for a 1 day trip?

Scarlett--Those were my thoughts too, lol!

If your brother likes arcades, Seaside has that. There is a tiny aquarium, and it only takes a few minutes to see everything. There are seals you can feed, but it just seems cruel to have them in such a confined space.

With two young children, just playing on the beach is usually what they want to do.

You can drive just to the north end of Seaside to Gearhart and there you can drive on the beach. We have always found lots of sand dollars in that stretch as well.

Drive down towards Cannon Beach for more things to do. All the boys would love Haystack Rock and the tidepools there. Your brother could ride a funcycle along the beach. You would all probably enjoy Ecola State Park and Indian Beach. Lots of huge rocks further down to explore. I can never get DH and DS to leave there as they become little kids exploring all over, lol!

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,496 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for a 1 day trip?

Hi!

My boys are 5 and 6, I grew up in Seaside, and we go there all the time, I am about 50minutes away these days.

Pack for the beach, there is a swing set in three areas there. If you want to hit a park also the best one IMO in Seaside is Near Ave U, the other that is good is on 12th Ave. The one near the pool isn't so great for little kids.

If it rains there is the Swimming Pool, and Aquarium (my kids love it, it is one of the oldest, they just got in new jelly fish). With kids you could take longer ;).

I would bring a stroller, maybe a double one if you have it so you could walk the prom.

My boys also like the Arcade, the Elephant Ears/Greek/Thai place across the street has great food we ate there the other day.

We also love the Carousel, and often they have a train (small one) running across the street, it used to be $1 not sure if it is running right now or not.

Most places are ok for kids, I don't dare take them into Yummy's though, and even Tora Sushi they got bored.

We like Dundee's for kids (there is a tv at each table, so we put on the Disney or Nick channel, and they are quiet the whole time). It is our fall back plan if no one has preferences too.

Here is a go list that might help a bit

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i13508-Seaside_…

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,496 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for a 1 day trip?

If you need beach toys KB Toys in the 12th ave mall is probably the cheapest. There is also a Osh-Kosh there that was having summer sales.

There is a $$ toy store in the Carousel Mall, that has better made unique toys.

At the $12 they have kids tee's and sweatshirts if you want a Seaside one :).

Two things I try to remember when going to the beach is hand-i-wipes (or baby wipes, they are cheaper), and plastic bags. Make sure to pack extra clothes, which sounds obvious but the sand sure works its way in. And ice-cream makes quite the mess. LOL

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,496 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions for a 1 day trip?

I was just rereading pp'r syrahgirl.

You might want to avoid the Cove (ave U area) of the beach. It is rocky. Very very hard for kids to walk, when we went to the cove when they were 3 & 4 it ended in a lot of crying. So my suggestion is stick to the sand. 12 ave is a good choice, they have a nice restroom, and less foot traffic. Then head NORTH from the beach entrance.

The Cove is a neat place to see but with little kids I almost suggest staying in the car.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,975 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions for a 1 day trip?

The other issue with taking kids into Yummy WIne Bar is that adults that are there to relax probably do not want to be bothered with other peoples kids.

I have to say that my daughter went wine touring with me from the time she was born, but I would never have gone to a wine bar with her, out of respect for others.

Not sure what Syrah was thinking...perhaps she missed the comment about kids being along?

The swing sets on the sand are fun for young and old alike. I don't think they have seats on there for little ones (aka the 19 month old) but you could swing while holding him. The carousel is fun too. Seaside is a great place to go with kids.

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,496 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions for a 1 day trip?

I know for positive they have a baby seat on the one nearest the turnaround.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,975 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestions for a 1 day trip?

Ah, cool. See RiverGalley, being a local, knows these things. Tells you how long it's been since I needed to look for the baby seats. ;-)

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,496 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Suggestions for a 1 day trip?

lol no worries.. now for wine recommendations don't come to me.. but I know who to ask ;).