We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is seaside oregon very similar to venice beach santa monica

los angeles
7 posts
Save Topic
is seaside oregon very similar to venice beach santa monica

i have read some of the posting for seaside, is seaside oregon very similar to venice beach and santa monica, in california? would like to know more about the life in summer in seaside oregon boardwalk if possible.

i have been to venice beach and santa monica a few times in summer and never been to seaside oregon.

thanks.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,065 posts
1,080 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: is seaside oregon very similar to venice beach santa monica

Of all the beaches in Oregon, Seaside (and the Nye Beach section of Newport) are sorta, kinda in a way like southern Calif beaches. Just a fraction of the people, though.

Oregon beaches are *much, much* colder than your beaches. It's almost never warm enough to lay out and tan here.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
178 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is seaside oregon very similar to venice beach santa monica

I'd say neither.

"The Prom" is lined with hotels, not really shops and eats. It "lays out" a bit like Venice, but that's about the only real comparison between the two. All the shops and restaurants are along Broadway leading towards the ocean from 101.

Santa Monica? Not really. The arcade two blocks inland might make it seem like it for a moment. No pier to speak of.

The beach is a beach. Might be a few volleyball nets in the sand. No ball courts or the like.

BTW, climate-wise, Seaside is more similar to Northern California. Cool, even in summer. You'd be hitting the lottery to find a warm day, not to mention any accompanying humidity.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
362 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is seaside oregon very similar to venice beach santa monica

It may not get too warm at Seaside, but you can still get "fried". With no polution in the air, there isn't much of a filter for the sun. Since you are beachside, there is a bit of humidity, so 65 deg. can feel great. Most summer days tend to be in the 60's to 70's. Of course, summer doesn't start 'til July 4th.

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: is seaside oregon very similar to venice beach santa monica

Summer this year might not start until July, 2009. LOL

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,065 posts
1,080 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: is seaside oregon very similar to venice beach santa monica

Lol, voyaging. There is an old English joke about summer ~

"When does summer start in England?"

"Summer? Ah yes, let' see . . . last year summer came on Tuesday, I believe."

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,988 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: is seaside oregon very similar to venice beach santa monica

I have always found it interesting that only one restaurant has an ocean view in Seaside. Is there a rule against this?

Seaside has been a favorite beach stop for me since I was very little. Okay, let me re-phrase that...very young as I am still a short thang. LOL!

I really like Seaside. I do not stay there, I stay in Gerhart, but I spend a couple of days in Seaside, a partial day in Cannon Beach and a partial day in Astoria when I am at the beach (which has been awhile...looking at Thanksgiving Weekend this year).

Is it Venice or Santa Monica? Nope! The prom is a nice walk....the beach is really good and not wall to wall people, unless you are under the volleyball net. There are good eateries and shops. There are also shops that deserve a visit as they are such a throw back to the past. I have no clue how they stay open, but I am glad that they have. So old school, yet so fun!

los angeles
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: is seaside oregon very similar to venice beach santa monica

thanks for all for so fast responses in hours. i have posted asking for humidity in seperate topics. i do know seaside is on a much higher latitude compared with venice and santa monica.

i do not know how the humidity in seaside oregon? i only know seaside oregon rain a lot in winter. summer has a nicer weather. that is why many people go to beach for summer time??

venice and santa monica has a lot of oversea tourist as it is very famous worldwide. i do not know how it is compared to seaside oregon in this respect.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,059 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: is seaside oregon very similar to venice beach santa monica

Seaside is sort of like a small town at the beach.

It has the boardwalk and things for kids to do, beachy atmosphere.. I don't think it is anything like Venice Beach or Santa Monica ( where I lived , once upon a time)...

As far as humidity- my memories of the beaches in Ca were drier than the beaches in Oregon.

I guess on any given hot summer day, it is dry.

But Oregon days can also be misty, damp, cool, and more like ( as someone has already said) more like Northern Ca..

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
362 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: is seaside oregon very similar to venice beach santa monica

PDXWine - No restaurants on Seasides boardwalk due to real estate costs. Prohibitable.

Level Contributor
36,165 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: is seaside oregon very similar to venice beach santa monica

Hi, we spend several weeks each summer in Seaside at our beach cottage. It's a wonderful place to enjoy the summer at the beach. Do you surf? The Cove and Ave U are two very popular surfing spots in Seaside. The prom is great fun to stroll, I enjoy riding my bike down the prom each morning and evening to catch the sunset. There are great shops, a small aquarium, and good restaurants in Seaside.

www.seasideor.com is a nice website to acquaint you with the area. :)