We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Distances to Aurora and McInville- Spruce Goose

Kawhia,New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,779 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Distances to Aurora and McInville- Spruce Goose

We are coming to Oregon /Washington after cruise LA- Vancouver in May 2009 and want a timeshare close enough to travel to Aurora and McInville,

We are narrowing choices down to Sunday?Monday check in ins

Are Oceanshores or Seaside to far away for day trips to Portland and Spruce Goose,

Would we be better at Welches (which has Monday check in.

We get off our cruise ship in Vancouver/Canada and want to spend at least 1 night in seattle so my husband can see Boeing factory

McMinnville, Oregon
Level Contributor
298 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Distances to Aurora and McInville- Spruce Goose

Hello! As you can probably see, I live in McMinnville. McMinnville is a little under an hour from Aurora. The Spruce Goose is on Hwy 18, which is one of the ways to get to Aurora or Portland from McMinnville. Seaside is about 2 hours from McMInnville, and a little less than that from Portland, depending on traffic and what part of Portland.

The Evergreen Aviation Museum (where the Spruce Goose is located) is quite interesting (my husband who loved aviation-related things finds it fascinating, as does my father). We've been there 3-4 times over the last several years. They have now added an IMAX theater, which is also nice. It is in it's own buiding and has a few displays, as well. And they are building a space museum, which should be open by the time you come. I believe they hope to open it this summer or fall.

I think my husband toured the Boeing factory years ago when he was in high school and enjoyed it. He would probably enjoy seeing it again.

Hopefully some of the other regular posters will give you more advice than I have. Many of them have excellent advice. I know some of them know a lot about the various timeshares, so they can answer your questions better than I can as to where to stay.

Kawhia,New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,779 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Distances to Aurora and McInville- Spruce Goose

We have taken a timeshare (WindJammers Condiminums)at Ocean Shores-

Along way away but we will come to McMinnville (4 hours)and spend the night,

Comfort Inn looks nice and A few others are listed.

The next day we will travel on to Aurora to the vans factory, before returning to the timeshare.

when we dock at Astoria on our cruise (Lax- Vancouver)

we can do a shore tour that takes in coastline and Tillamook and an aviation museum?

Which I think my husband will like.

After Astoria we dock at Seattle and then Victoria,

We also dock at Santa Barbara and San Francisco.

We will be in washington in a weeks timeshare after the cruise

Kawhia,New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,779 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Distances to Aurora and McInville- Spruce Goose

Hi again

I am now thinking we could spend a night at Vancouver (downtown)Blue Horizon Hotel seems good value

And on the sunday fly from Vancouver to Portland

Then drive from Portland to Ocean Shores timeshare - Not further than driving from Seattle to Ocean Shores and means we can pick up rental car from Portland airport- returning after 1 week- end back to Portland (may be stay night in Portland) Airport before flying out to SAnFrancisco or LAX

Do you think 1 night in Vancouver is better than nothing-

The cruise docks at 7.30 am Saturday 16 may

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Distances to Aurora and McInville- Spruce Goose

Ocean Shores a long way from McMinnville. 3 1/3 hours from Portland and another hour to McMinnville.

You say you have week at time share in Wash after cruise. Is that Ocean Shores or another place?

I think you should consider time share on Oregon coast. Oregon coast better for a week than Ocean Shores.

Seveal time shares Newport to Lincoln City, Newport can be a day trip to mcMinnville fairly easily.

From Newport you can drive south to Dunes which is spectacular drive and north another day to Tillamook.

Kawhia,New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,779 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Distances to Aurora and McInville- Spruce Goose

We have the exchange in Ocean Shores now and are going to Make the best of it.

If we take an overnight trip to McMinnville we can gp coastal route down (urning off after Astoria)and following day come back via Portland

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Distances to Aurora and McInville- Spruce Goose

We have the exchange in Ocean Shores now and are going to Make the best of it.

If we take an overnight trip to McMinnville we can gp coastal route down (urning off after Astoria)and following day come back via Portland

your quote above.. sounds like you are pretty fixed. you can do trip you suggest.

Do you really want any help???

Kawhia,New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,779 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Distances to Aurora and McInville- Spruce Goose

The help you have given me has been great because having already committed ourselves to the timeshare week I am trying to make best of it.

I should have waited yes for a better exchange,

but that now history,

If we find the distances too great we may have to stay more than 1 night away from timeshare.

having an idea that traffic can alter pre- concieved ideas of travel time is helpful,

I am getting help all the time because it is evident that the focuss of the week will be limited to 1-2 trips away from base albeit long.

If we can do the Boeing trip as a cruise shore trip When our Cruise ship is in Seattle that will ease pressure-

Prior to our timeshare week we stop at Santa Barbara, San Francisco Astoria,Seattle and Victoria.

I hope we can do an Oregon coast shore trip that takes in the Tillamook aviation museum and also some of the coastline.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Distances to Aurora and McInville- Spruce Goose

Do not think it easy to get from Astoria to Tillamook and back on shore time and see much. Close to 2 hour trip one way.

Astoria a marvelous place to visit. the maritme museum there one of best I have seen, several Lewis and Clark sites including repicla of 1805-06 winter quarters. Ft Stevens also has some interesting history, bunkers where they watched for possible Japanese fleet arrival. Astor Column has great view from top of city. Trolley to get you arround downtown

You are already making big efforet to get to McMinnville, and maybe Boeing. Perhaps Astoria a good visit right there. I have not yet been to Tillamook Air site, so not sure but Evergreen by the way worth the trip. went with our son and family he is active and career US Air Force. they have lived on AF bases and two boys were enthralled with it, and so was son. He had been on more than one of planes there

Kawhia,New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,779 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Distances to Aurora and McInville- Spruce Goose

What ever we do on shore trips will take the ships one even if relatively expensive.

We will be in a comfy coach and if we are late getting back the ship will wait for us.

Going on what you are all saying with distances and times it takes to travel it would be only prudent to do so and it will give us a feel (Albeit slighty) for the distances we will need to travel with a rental car.

The Tillamook- coastal tour is an all day tour with lunch included

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,496 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Distances to Aurora and McInville- Spruce Goose

I think going to Tillamook from the cruise ship instead of from Ocean Shores is a great idea.

That would leave you with only McMinnville to overnight near when you are staying at Ocean Shores. And you could visit down as far as Seaside or Cannon Beach if you want to push it a bit. Leaving early in the AM the traffic is much lighter so you would see a swifter travel. So from Ocean Shores could easily explore anything Cannon Beach North. Including Longbeach area, the lighthouses in that area are really quite something.