We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

relocating to Salem

Which Salem hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Redondo Beach...
14 posts
Save Topic
relocating to Salem

Hi all!

I may be relocating to the Salem area this summer with my highschool age daughter and ederly mother.

I was hoping to find a realtor who could assist with relocation...I am open to sugggestions about different areas.

I am guessing it would be fairly easy to find a job as a legal assistant/secretary in just about any town, without having to commute downtown.

I also want to find a town with a good senior activities program and possibly affordable, government rent-subsidized housing.

I would probably like to rent first, while making sure of the best area for us. Eventually I would like to purchase a home in the $250,000 to $300,000 range (small is fine, but need a yard for dog and would definitely like mature trees!).

My main goal (since coming from Los Angeles area) is to be away from huge crowds and enjoying some open space and lots of trees. Plus, I LOVE the rain!

Any suggestions/tips would be greatly appreciated!! We'll be there April 12th, 13th and/or 14th and would like to meet with a realtor then.

Thank you =)

Level Contributor
5,143 posts
677 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: relocating to Salem

I see your posts in other forums as well - I'll cross my fingers that you find a job in the Portland area instead! :-)

Redondo Beach...
14 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: relocating to Salem

Why is that? You don't like Salem? I really have a preference for Portland, but home prices have gone up, so i may need to settle in Eugene or Salem. I'll be there in April to look at the different areas...any advice? Thanks !!

Level Contributor
5,143 posts
677 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: relocating to Salem

Not a big fan of Salem - kind of slummy. I've spent a lot of time there over the years and it's just personal preference of course.

The capitol area is nice, and the park area is nice downtown, past that there's a lot of strip-mall congestion and eh...

If Portland is too expensive, look to the Burbs. If you're looking for a smaller area, think of somewhere like Corvallis, Forest Grove, McMinnville, Grants Pass, or Bend.

Housing is also cheaper across the river in Vancouver, Camas, and Ridgefield WA.

Salem, Oregon
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: relocating to Salem

I have lived in Salem for over 10 years and I think that the key to moving here is choosing your area carefully. From your budget and expectations, I would suggest you inquire about some of the older, lovely homes in historic Salem, or if you prefer newer construction, go to South Salem or Keizer (a salem 'burb) and rent/purchase something there.

I doubt you'll have too much trouble finding work in the legal field assuming you have experience and initiative to get the job you want in the first place.

Another place I really like and would suggest you consider is Silverton (about 20 minutes east of Salem) with lots of history and a lovely small-town feel, but culture and not far away from the much larger Salem. Your budget will allow for a reasonable home there, but it is more expensive than Salem.

Good luck!

Bend, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Bend
Level Contributor
1,563 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: relocating to Salem

Needtrees, I grew up in Salem. By no means would I consider it "settling" - there are pros and cons to living in any city, and Salem is a nice place!

It has a smaller community feel with all the big city amenities. There is a good parks & rec program and a YMCA that both have good teen programs. Your daughter might want to visit the IKEbox downtown. There are great parks (Bush Park and the Riverfront Park), a baseball team (the Volcanoes) and plenty of other local attractions. There are many great local and national restaurants. It's a one hour trip to the coast, Portland, Eugene, or the Cascade mountains so you really are in the middle of it all for the Willamette Valley.

When you buy or rent be sure to talk to the neighbors - there are nice, friendly and reasonable areas all over town. If is really is a nice area they won't mind chatting with you about the area and will welcome your family. For a realtor try Nancy & Eric Fiskum they are a mother-son team. (…prudentialhomefinder.com/Prudential_REP/…)

Good luck!