We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant at Williamette University

California
Level Contributor
96 posts
698 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant at Williamette University

I was watching "Samantha Brown" on Travel Chanel not long ago. She was doing a program about Salem, Oregon. I believe the show had her eating a meal on the campus of Williamette University and she said that it is open for public. Anyone knows if this is correct and the name of the restaurant? Thanks!

7 replies to this topic
Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,535 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant at Williamette University

willamette.edu/admission/…index.html

eatsalem.com/2009/03/goudy-commons-cafe-at-w…

Don't know about Samantha...but Rachael Raye got there first (along with other TV & print food gurus). It's open to the public and one of these days I plan to make the stop in Salem on my way up or down I-5 and check it out for myself. The Obsidians once combined it with the hike at Silver Falls State Park.

From what I have found by Googling, it appears you'll have to wait awhile if you want to visit, since I think it's closed until students return for the fall term.

California
Level Contributor
96 posts
698 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant at Williamette University

Great! Thank you so much for the information.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Bend
Level Contributor
1,635 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant at Williamette University

Ask for directions to Gowdy Commons on campus. It's not really a "restaurant" but rather the dining hall. You grab a tray and pick food from several different stations, then pay when you exit to the dining room.

OregonPoppa is correct, it's only open during the school year. Watch for it later in August. I used to eat there frequently when I lived in Salem and worked downtown. It's good food at a reasonable price, and there is something for everyone.

Salem, Oregon
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant at Williamette University

Yes, I am a Willamette University student and our cafeteria hosts ala carte dinners on the weekdays, and Sunday, brunch on Saturday. All you care to eat $7.50 (for the public) meals. It is located in Goudy Commons, you will be eating surrounded by students and faculty but you don't need to be a part of the Willamette University community to eat. Hope this helped. (Oh, and other than the ala carte meals, all other food is take out or eat in but you pay for it individually after making your food, it is not all you care to eat)

Salem, Oregon
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant at Williamette University

It is open to the public, and I have eaten here a few times. While it does have that cafeteria feel we all have experienced in school, the food is very good, and with a decent price. The first time I ate there, I thought I would be experiencing the typical cafeteria taste, but I was pleasantly surprised.

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,414 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant at Williamette University

And, on Thursdays, they also have special small plates of gourmet foods. Very good.

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,125 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant at Williamette University

I was wondering how I missed this thread, then I noticed -- the original post is from August 2010. Still good info, though!

Reply to: Restaurant at Williamette University
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted