We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great place to visit and do!

Grants Pass, Oregon
Level Contributor
1 post
72 reviews
Save Topic
Great place to visit and do!

It was my birthday and my wife asked me what I wanted to do. I said, let's go North as we always go South from our home and stop and spend the day where we wish. We started out with breakfast at Elmer's in Grants Pass and proceeded North on the I/S 5 to Roseburg where we exited the freeway and stopped at the local visitors center. We found them to be informative, helpfull and very pleasant people and accepted several of their recommendations. First, we headed off to Sherm's market for some ice cream (we were told it was a good place to catch the local flavor). Next we headed up to the Umpqua Community College and saw a stage play, "Nunsense" which was outstanding and very funny. After chatting with the cast for a short time, we set our compass on the course to "Dino's" Italian Restaurant" where we had better than outstanding service and a meal. I'd tell you the menu, but you really need to experience it all your self. From there we went to the "Oregon Actors Community Theater" where we saw the one man play "Clarence Darrow". The actor, Tully Evans and the director, Ken Ellis, did an outstanding presentation. Tully will convince you that he is Clarence Darrow recounting his life and when Tully starts to describe scenes in Clarence's life, you see the picture in Tully's eyes and the journey is real and complete. "Nunsense" closed Sunday, August 2, but "Clarence Darrow will run one more weekend, August 7 & 8. Treat yourself and family as we did. You will not regret it and will come away inspired.

Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
for Mount Rainier National Park
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Great place to visit and do!

We were in Roseburg a couple of weeks ago for a weekend of car races. Friday afternoon and Saturday morning when there was not much going on at the track, we spent some time sightseeing.

Many wonderful wineries in the Umpqua Valley area near Roseburg. We spent Friday afternoon driving thru the wine country and stopped at Melrose and Hillcrest Vineyards. Also drove out to the Rochester Covered Bridge.

Saturday morning we drove east on highway 138 toward Crater Lake. This is a beautiful drive and I highly recommend it. Many waterfalls and cool places along the Umpqua River. Since we had been this route a couple of years ago, we just drove as far as Colliding Rivers and then up to the Cavitt Creek Covered Bridge.

We stayed at the Quality Inn in Roseburg. I will post a review for it. Very nice. Had dinner on Friday night at Brutke's Wagon Wheel Restaurant, nothing fancy, but good food, great prices.

We have driven through Roseburg many times, but never considered it a destination (too hot in the summer, too cold and dark in the winter). We were pleasantly surprised.

For families with children, there is also the Wildlife Safari just a few miles south in Winston.

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,056 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Great place to visit and do!

Hey Kitters!! We venture down to the Douglas County Speedway quite often and have been since our oldest son began racing mini-stocks back in 1998. They put on a pretty good show!!!

Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
for Mount Rainier National Park
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Great place to visit and do!

Dengay--DH has a vintage midget. We do about three races a year around the Pacific NW. He blew the engine at Roseburg so he's spent the last couple of weeks repairing it. Just today got it going again.

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,056 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Great place to visit and do!

Too bad about hubby's engine troubles. Hope you enjoyed the facility though.

5. Re: Great place to visit and do!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:24 am, January 31, 2010