We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in Portland for late February

bpm
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Topic
Weather in Portland for late February

Hello. My girlfriends and I would like to take a trip to Portland and Willamette Valley. for 4 or 5 days. Late February seems to be the best time for us. But I'm not sure what the weather will be like. We don't mind some chill but rain would really put a damper on our trip. Could anyone tell me what kind of weather I can expect?

Thanks.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,110 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in Portland for late February

You can almost count on rain in Feb and March and April etc....

We generally have been counting dry days as unusual, rain is the norm.

You can get around town and be fine regardless of weather, if you have warm clothes and a raincoat. Streetcars are great for that, there are so many shops and restaurants that you don't have to walk far to go from one to the other..it is a great city for pedestrians.

Rain or shine, there are always a lot of people out.

We were out in the wine area not long ago, it started out grey and cloudy but ended rainy, but to tell the truth, it is not that pretty, as in Napa, so if you want to go to wineries, rain won't stop you and it won't make the views from the highway any less than they already are.

A winery trip here can be taken in a day anyway, or half day.

Hope this helps, ~

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,110 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in Portland for late February

www.wunderground.com/US/OR/Portland.html

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,150 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in Portland for late February

Scarlett is right, expect rain. Most likely it will be in the 40's or maybe low 50's, but definitely damp if not very wet.

I live about 5 minutes from where the winery area typically begins. The views will be nil...but if you are only interested in the tastings, then yes go ahead. But if all of you are tasting, please hire a driver. The police are pretty vigilant in this area.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather in Portland for late February

You know, this year is hard to predict. I would bring layers and a raincoat/umbrella.

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather in Portland for late February

I'm curious as to why you would travel here in that season... Everyone assumes the wines, but still...

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather in Portland for late February

I am with Voyaging. All the way from DC why pick Portland at that time of year?. specially if you can't handle rain very well. You will get rain well into June but at least it is warmer.

If I had to pick date to visit Portland it would be late May early June. The foliage is out, many roses in bloom

What interests you in Willamette Valley?? Many other things of high interest near Portland. Columbia Gorge, Oregon Coast. Mt St Helens

Level Contributor
5,143 posts
672 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather in Portland for late February

I'd pick mid-July because it is early enough that everything is still green, yet late enough it will almost certainly be sunny and warm. May has traditionally been the best month, in my opinion, until the past several years. Seems the rain continues now until after July 4th before our never-ending sunshine comes home to roost for the summer. Seems our summers are starting later and ending later than ever before.

Rain in Feb - and cold.

Florida's nice that time of year... :-)

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,150 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather in Portland for late February

Please don't let the weather deter you. Yes, it will most likely be cold and wet here, but does it really matter? If you really want to avoid the rain, then do come July thru Sept for that.

J&S--Sorry...we have lived in FL...it is not always nice in February.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,110 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weather in Portland for late February

True, Mtngrl, we lived in Florida for a year and a half before moving to Portland. Tht first February was cold and we had rain 11 days in a row , .ugh...

Someone from Wash DC won't have too much of a problem with the rain here, it still isn't as cold or snowy as the NE :)

10. Re: Weather in Portland for late February

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 pm, August 24, 2009