We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tribune & Oregonian

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Tribune & Oregonian

Back in the dark ages when Portland was fortunate enough to have two dailies, I always enjoyed seeing what the Journals slant was on something vs the Oregonian. and very often different

Then they merged and maintained some separateness for awhile, but soon we had only one Portland paper. How sad. The Big O had the only newspaper view. and over time I found I had many problems with their views. I think major metro area like ours needs to hear from more than one newspaper

Son moved to Puget Sound, he has several daily options. we don't

Than along came the Tribune whose first pres was a sports writer Dwight Jaynes. But they have challenged some of the Big O's

views. I think first whats going on with tram came from Tribune.

And many others, street car losses, bad street SW PDX, etc

Hope you all have had chance to read Tribune. another view.

Level Contributor
5,143 posts
674 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Tribune & Oregonian

I agree with you - the Tribune does do some good local investigative reporting.

I only was referring to the Oregonian.

Level Contributor
5,143 posts
674 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Tribune & Oregonian

I always thought Forest Park was the 3rd largest urban park behind one in Arizona and one in Texas, and was the 7th largest city park.

Can you refer me to a list? 19th seems pretty strange to me.

Level Contributor
5,143 posts
674 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Tribune & Oregonian

Started looking around, I see it ranked anywhere from the largest to 14th, depending on what website you look at - boy, this sure is an exercise in showing you not to believe everything you read on the web!

There are so many definitions of city park - I think that's the issue. Portland Parks and Recreation says, very carefully:

"Forest Park now includes over 5,100 wooded acres making it the largest, forested natural area within city limits in the United States"

So, I guess some of those other parks maybe aren't both in the city limits and forested or something.

For example, I noticed The park in Arizona claims the park in Texas doesn't qualify because it is a state park, while the Arizona one doesn't count because it's not forested enough. Who knew how fierce the park wars can be!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,967 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Tribune & Oregonian

Great thread for the newbies, thanks!

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,601 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Tribune & Oregonian

Thanks for the information. We have a major afternoon newspaper war here in London with Rupert Murdoch starting a free newsheet to rival the long standing paid for Evening Standard whose owners have hit back with a freebie of their own.

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/5312164.stm

I can see Transport for London having to employ a lot more cleaners to get rid of the thousands of discarded papers.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,107 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Tribune & Oregonian

Shoot, I forgot to stop by and pick up a Tribune yesterday! I was too busy trying to find an address and totally forgot. And I was only about 2-3 blocks away. Maybe I will get out today...you all have my curiosity up now, lol!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Tribune & Oregonian

<<Is this the same Oregonian that has endorsed only 2 democrats for president in it's 152 year history?>>

LOL, I don't know; is it? And I don't know how positions the paper did or didn't take 150 years ago is relevant today. It's really only been since the Big O became the only game in town that it's become as much editorial as journalistic. And that's generally coincided with a shift in metro area politics over the last 15 - 30 years. But I suppose people who generally agree with what they're reading would notice the change less.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Tribune & Oregonian

As someone who grew up in rural Oregon, I sure was glad when big O dropped slogan "If it matters to Oregonians it is in the Oregonian" cause that quit being true many years ago. Downstate news now mostly violence stuff. or cheating politicians.

I have read Columbian a few times and if I lived in Vancouver I would not take Big O. Same for Salem Statesmen Journal, and many others.

Big O has become Portland area paper and why Tribune is good other soruce,

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,967 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Tribune & Oregonian

OK so I grabbed a Tribune on my way out of Safeway yesterday, came home and skimmed it and thought, gee, not much here. Then my dh read it and said "where is the rest of the paper"....somehow I only got the A section and I just thought it was a very small paper...he got a good laugh at my expense. Sigh. Now I have to go back and try again to get the entire paper.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Tribune & Oregonian

well there is not much there on Tues, a little more on Frid. It is a small paper. And there are days not a lot to read except Jaynes, Eggers and Stanford. y

They are in green boxes scattered here and there. Walgrens has them in Tigard, but not yet in Sherwood 2 or 3 weeks ago.