We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Street Gangs?

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Topic
Street Gangs?

I saw an older thread that mentioned street gangs as problematic in downtown. Can anyone elaborate on this? Are we talking purse snatching, pan handling, what? I'm staying at the Hotel Monaco in August and want to know what to expect.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,707 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Street Gangs?

Very well said Oregonpoppa. I almost feel sorry for people who are afraid of our homeless population. It would be a shame to avoid Portland to miss out on all the wonderful things this city has to offer. Come visit and see for yourself! :-)

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,729 posts
1,024 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Street Gangs?

>>There have been some ghastly murders along the coast in sleepy places like Waldport for example<<

One.

In the last 150 years or so.

-

*Dislike* is not "fear". Please don't confuse the two :-)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Street Gangs?

Yes, well said, o'poppa. I think some of the powers that be in Portland actually wear the relative high numbers of homeless as a badge of honor, attributing their presence to the availability and level of social safety-net programs that aren't available in other parts of the state and country. So, unlike in some other cities, Portland doesn't try to hide its homeless, which means you're almost certain to see some of them, particularly the many homeless youth. But I doubt you'll feel threatened by any of them.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
227 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Street Gangs?

We were there last August and are headed back this September - WE LOVED PORTLAND. A lot of homeless "camps" around, but nobody bothered us. Now, walking across the Morrison Bridge to get back downtown - that is downright scary!

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,707 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Street Gangs?

Rumghoul, I am happy to hear you enjoyed our city! Most people aren't bothered by our homeless population but I am sure it would be unusual/scary if you come from a small community that doesn't have a homeless population. I have seen how some heartless people treat our homeless and it makes me sick. They are human beings down on their luck, most often due to mental illness and substance abuse that our system just doesn't use the resources to address.

What was scary about crossing the bridge?

Come back to visit any time!

16. Re: Street Gangs?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 am, July 15, 2015