We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with location

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
154 posts
Save Topic
Help with location

We will be visiting Portland in mid-late June and I am trying to figure out what neighborhood we should stay in. We will be coming from Bend so we are looking for a city experience. Ideally I'd like to be in a walkable area where we can visit some restaurants and brewpubs. Our only plans for now are dinner at Beast one night and I would ideally like to try Pokpok (maybe for lunch).

Was thinking of Pearl District or downtown. Any other suggestions?

I appreciate your help.

Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,974 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with location

I would look at downtown/pearl district or Lloyds Center/Arena area where you are close to light rail.

If you want to explore other ares you can easily get around via bus if light rail doesnt go there.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with location

Check out the new Marriot Residence Inn in the Pearl. This would give you a great location to walk Portland or take public transport to the east side. Have fun!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,626 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with location

Pokpok is in deepest SE Portland. Beast is in deepest NE Portland. The Pearl is the center of NW Portland, and downtown is the center of SW Portland, so you've somewhat hit all the high points here.

Staying in the Pearl will give you access to all the chic shoppes and watering holes, as well as plenty of pubs, but most of the cutting-edge stuff in Portland is now on the east side.

If you're looking for a funkier experience, consider McMenamin's Kennedy School or The Jupiter Hotel to be on the East Side. Otherwise any downtown hotel that fits your budget will do, as will the latest one-size-fits-all solution from the expert! I'm sure the Inn @ Northrup feels bereft. Being downtown (as opposed to the Pearl) maximizes your public transport access.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
154 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with location

Thank you for all your responses. We have decided to stay in the Pearl when the whole family is together and then I will switch to the East side when it is just myself and my wife.

5. Re: Help with location

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, May 13, 2015