We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Biggest hotel downtown?

Colorado
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Topic
Biggest hotel downtown?

We are first timers coming August 1-5 and looking to stay downtown for convenience. We prefer modern (decor and sound proofing) hotels with lots of amenities - room service, onsite bars and restaurants are important. These things tend to correlate with the size of the hotel (which is difficult to quickly search online), so any recommendations?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,646 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Biggest hotel downtown?

The largest and fanciest hotels in Portland are: The Heathman, The Benson, The Nines, and (maybe) The Riverplace. There are also the large Hiltons (at least two of them, maybe more), Marriotts, and some other places. The Nines might float your boat the best, because they have a trendy rooftop bar (Destinations) as well as a well-regarded restaurant (Urban Farmer) on the premises.

However, Portland also has several boutique hotels with equally good choices, notably the Hotel Modera, which includes their own trendy bare/restaurant, Nel Centro.

The Heathman also has a very good bar and restaurant, as is just a couple of blocks from the truly excellent Higgins bar/restaurant. The Benson always strikes me as a bit stodgy, but it is the grand old hotel of Portland. The Riverplace is (you guessed it) right on the river, which makes it special, and has a passable bar and restaurant, and is a short walk to the Veritable Quandary and other good eats.

If I wanted a truly luxe experience and price was no object, I'd probably pick the Nines, but check out the Heathman as well.

2. Re: Biggest hotel downtown?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, May 07, 2015